Professional Assistance Request: Front Walkway

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I was going to suggest brick pavers but then I see the home is brick. All materials are exceedingly expensive right now. Maybe concrete with brick edging/accents? Blue stone is beautiful but seems like it would clash with the brick, at least to my eyes - concrete would be more complimentary to the home, in my humble opinion of course, and brick edging would tie in nice?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
Blue stone is beautiful but seems like it would clash with the brick, at least to my eyes - concrete would be more complimentary to the home, in my humble opinion of course, and brick edging would tie in nice?

Just a thought.

Is this a clash? I'm not trying to be funny, is this a clash to your eyes?
DJI_0018.JPG

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
Daaaang that your place?

Oddly I like everything but the brick and stones in the concrete lol

That was about 6 months in on a 14 month project, and yes, my wife and I are to blame. The whole front of the house uses a lot of brick so we ran with it in certain areas. Not all areas used the brick accent, just three places on the patios have a brick border. Most of the rest was all blue stone which we love.

DJI_0015.JPG

DJI_0026.JPG

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Is this a clash? I'm not trying to be funny, is this a clash to your eyes?View attachment 452121

Not to steer this conversation off in a different direction, I have been designing custom homes for 30-years. Here is one example (a 3D computer model of an actual Spanish colonial style home in DC Ranch Scottsdale that I did after the home was complete, to teach myself the 3D model / computer rendering thing that was popular back when I did this about 15-years ago)...

Some people like it, some don't. The architectural committee liked it, and the homeowner's love it. Go figure.

Your style of home is much different than the home in the original poster's photos. Color and texture harmony, matter.

View attachment 452141

Last edited:

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Here is another "rendering" I did for an architect in Dallas - it hurts my eyes real bad, frankly, but I got paid (the orange bowl was something the owner insisted be included).

I am retired now, thank God. Too many cooks in that industry...

LANDWEHR UNSIGNED SMALL.jpg

And now, back to lawns, the reason I am here.

Last edited:

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
To the OP - if in your budget, it might help to talk to a real designer that has a portfolio of work that is pleasing to your eyes.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I was going to suggest brick pavers but then I see the home is brick. All materials are exceedingly expensive right now. Maybe concrete with brick edging/accents? Blue stone is beautiful but seems like it would clash with the brick, at least to my eyes - concrete would be more complimentary to the home, in my humble opinion of course, and brick edging would tie in nice?

Just a thought.

Geez I just now saw the landscape designer's sketch - I could not get it to view previously (poor internet out here in the waste land). It is nice but I agree with Google re: brick pavers.

I wonder how that sketch would look if the walk from the entry snaked around the front of the Maple to connect with the walk to the patio...

Just an idea is all - no harm if you don't like it!
Walk SKETCH.jpg

Last edited:
OP
U

upstateNY2021

LawnSite Member
Geez I just now saw the landscape designer's sketch - I could not get it to view previously (poor internet out here in the waste land). It is nice but I agree with Google re: brick pavers.

I wonder how that sketch would look if the walk from the entry snaked around the front of the Maple to connect with the walk to the patio...

Just an idea is all - no harm if you don't like it!View attachment 452155
Thank you for this! My wife loves it so now we have more to talk about ;) Can you please elaborate on the brick pavers? We've been getting a lot of feedback to stay away from brick because it wont match though the old bricks we had we're okay looking (to me). We've been looking at Belgard Lafitt Rustic. Thank you again for taking the time to send this over

Top Forums