Professional Courtesy or Lack Thereof

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm sure all of you have experienced this, someone contacts you, says they want you to do a job. You meet with them and they want you to do the job and then just like that they disappear. Won't respond to messages left and just leave you hanging. And it's not just individuals either but people in business who you'd think would have more consideration.

One that happened to me lately. I was contacted by local individuals that were building a hotel, met with them and they wanted me to install a sprinkler system. Met several times as the building was progressing always making time to meet. They keep pushing the time back as in most projects things don't go as well as you hope. One day I get a call that they are going to uncover the runs under pavement so I can install pipes and wire, they will call tomorrow when it is done. I buy a $300 roll of wire and am ready to roll. I never get the call and figure things didn't work out as planned so no big deal, they'll call in a few days. Days turn into weeks so I decide to drop by (BTW it's a little out of they way). It's on a weekend so no one's around and I'll be damned they turf areas that were going to be irrigated are filled with rocks so obviously they changed plans. I never hear from them, even though I accommodated them every step they didn't have the decency to tell me they canceled the plans. I saw one in a local store some time later and said a friendly Hi.

I could tell more stories but I've already bored you so I'll stop there. I guess this is more of a vent and I'm sure you have your own stories to tell. Feel free to do so

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
That sucks.
26 yrs in Residential construction and 10 yrs in lawncare never had that situation. All I can say is should have had it in writing before spending money.

Robert Stone

LawnSite Member
Or at least a partial payment. EVERY contractor that I’ve worked with gets a partial payment of the total job price-out; perhaps you didn’t even get that far in the actual paperwork/prospective.

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
That sucks.
26 yrs in Residential construction and 10 yrs in lawncare never had that situation. All I can say is should have had it in writing before spending money.
Or at least a partial payment. EVERY contractor that I’ve worked with gets a partial payment of the total job price-out; perhaps you didn’t even get that far in the actual paperwork/prospective.
I know and have dealt with these people before so I felt one's word and a handshake were good. Getting my money back for the wire wasn't a problem. The part that I find amazing is they didn't have the common decency to notify me they changed plans. While it would have been bad if this were an individual you'd think those in business would have more consideration. For what it's worth I live in a small town and many things are done on one's word.

If I don't want a job I simply tell someone "thanks but I decline" and don't leave them hanging. Seems the professional thing to do and not that difficult.

Top Forums