1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Profit Margin from grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rclay11541, Apr 24, 2005.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

Hey guys trying to figure some things out here. What is your profit margin in a % on the dollar? What size lawns are you cutting and how many? THanks Ryan

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

------100%

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u would be lucky to get 15% depending on your overhead

4. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Trying to get to 30%. Not there yet.

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

What?? 15% of $35 is $5.25 So if it takes you 30 minutes to do a $35 yard you only make $5.25??

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

60-70%. working on 75

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

5% Or Under

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

he just says that becuase he does not understand what profit for a business actually is.
    Unfortunately a lot of other members here don't as well.

profit is what is left after EVERY expense is paid EVEN YOUR PAY.......

your business has to make a profit if IT is going to pay for the operations of your company. it should not come out of your salary.....

also try and get a loan for YOUR BUSINESS ( not a personal loan) without it SHOWING a profit... good luck...

you should not have your business finances comingled with your personal finances, It can cuase a lot of trouble it there is ever a problem, like a suit or a defualt on a loan...

Most businesses that pay workmans comp, are insured, have office expenses, etc.. operate on 20% or less. The vast majority are 10% or below.

this means that a business that grosses $500K/year will have $50K in the bank at the end of the year AFTER all payroll etc.........

smaller businesses CAN be more profitable, but you are dealing with smaller numbers ..
    ie.. a business that grosses $50K and has a 20% margin will have 10K in the bank at the end of the year.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i am a sole proprieter, I AM THE BUSINESS. there are not 2 different parties-xyz lawn, and bobby g. we are one in the same. what would be the point in taking a smaller paycheck, just so i could leave more money in the business, so it shows a better profit? if this were an advantage, then i'd leave 90% of the money in the business account, and draw a tiny paycheck every week. what could i possibly benefit from doing that? 75%, thank you

10. landcare pa

landcare pa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Booby with 8000 post i cant see that you do much other than post alot ,how many lawns do you cut. also if i cut 5 lawns by myself i could operate at 70% i think 15-25 % is the norm 70% is in bobby land.

thats him cutting 5 lawns a week after his 10 hr shift on lawn site. at 20 bucks a pop