1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

profit percent?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by abclawncare, Jun 22, 2008.

1. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

was wondering what a good profit for the year is? 40% or 50% i went full time into my business last year, I've been working it part time up until then and didn`t give much thought to profit margin when i was part time, but now that i`m working it full time i`m trying to cut cost and make a decent profit and was just wondering what everyone else is making if you care to share

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

3. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm... I think its actually more close to 30%. Not sure what you are doing to make 10% profit but you might want to think about a different industry if that is your profit margin.

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you consider profit after or before you pay yourself?

When calculating profit do you consider; time, depreciation, accounting fees, taxes, insurance, ect.

Some people say "profit" = gross - (labor + repairs + fuel)

Just wanting to be clear.

5. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

i consider profit to be net income, after overhead is taken out(fuel,wages,insurance,........)

6. Flow Control

Last year I did X amount in business and after EVERYTHING was paid for including 40k in new equipment and my salary I still should of had close to 280k in the bank left over. Sorry didn't happen. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

7. Flow Control

That is what I consider profit to be as well. Sales - ALL monies spent to run the biz and everything associated with it= net profit