1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

profits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indian, Jun 18, 2002.

1. indian

indian LawnSite Member

I am new to this forum. I am a teacher/coach full time and do not anticipate giving up this job. I love working on my own yard and am thinking about quitting coaching and getting into the business part time, alone, and then maybe eventually having a small crew once I have established the business. I will start slow and only take jobs that I think that I can handle. My main question is, what kind of profit can I reasonbly expect to have by my self and evenually with a one small crew. I am trying to decide if I can possibly make more money doing this than coaching(coach's don't get paid much for the number of hours that we put in). I will appreciate all responses and insights into helping me with my decision. Thanks .

2. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

You can expect to make an average of at least $30 per cut per client so with 30 to 40 weekly clients you can expect to earn $1000/week just mowing.(all residentials) Insurance is relatively cheap for a new company maybey $500/year and expect to pay about $50 in gas each week depending on driving time. By yourself with a good mower, 10 residentials per day is a good estimated average. Getting the client base built up and being able to handle the odd jobs+ the mowing is the key.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

It will vary with your market.

Do a search on the word "solo" and you will find a wealth of information.

For a quick answer, one guy, one truck, 1 walk behind and a 21"?
    If you can keep the equipment at your house, your basic expenses will be cost of equipment + insurance + taxes +gas,oil,parts,ect.

A basic dollar amount per hour might range from $30-$50 per hr.
    If a 10K lawn takes 30 min, you can figure out how many lawns you can handle by how many hours you have to spare.

If you can produce $20,000 part time, with lower expenses, you might net out $15,000 per year. Remember, these #'s are guesstimates and can really vary, but with a calculator, you can get a general idea.

I say-do it. :blob3:

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Especially if you like coaching.

And don't forget the value of your benefits, if any.

Not to be discouraging, but you really have to like what you do for a living.

I you like coaching, stick with it. Phil Jackson would have to cut lawns for a lifetime to earn what he does in 1 week coaching.

It's tough to make money at this. It can be done but you have to manage your time carefully and it can take years to build a profitable route.

The expenses are staggering once you look at the costs of the necessities of being a professional vs part-timer.

KB

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Albemarle Lawn is a non-profit orgainization.

If someone is holding a sign and says, "help the poor"

I tell them, "I'm the poor"

6. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

how can u be non-profit? do you just take the money you need and donate the rest, or do u charge low?