Project from last summer

Lite4

LawnSite Gold Member
Hey Guys,

I rarely post over on this side but I have been back in the hardscape side of things again for the last few years after taking a break from it for about 3 or so. Anyway, thought I would post this one. We had limited access to this area. We had to remove about 20-24" of pea gravel and junk to make some room for topsoil and plant material at the edges of our patio space. We took the opportunity to reinforce the RR tie walls with Geo grid (we wrapped the ends of the geogrid around a 2 x 4 a few times and lagged them into the RR tie wall. I knew we were going to have a lot more weight on this thing so we made sure this wasn't going to move on us later. Packed in the 53's under the patio for base, and well, you get the idea from the pictures. Snap edge around the whole patio, I took a picture after we were just getting started. Turned out nice for a smaller project. The last 2 pics the patio is just wet from being sprayed off. We did seal it with SRW gloss seal (non-poly seal).

Pre con.jpg

const.jpg

const1.jpg

const2.jpg

const4.jpg

plantings1.jpg

Patio.jpg

amscapes03

LawnSite Senior Member
Looks really good. Its clean and simple, yet you thought outside the box in regards to the shape. Really nice! Love to see some LV Lighting in the beds, especially after the plants mature. It's a place i'd like to kick back & hang out at.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Whats gonna happen down the road when the 6x6's rot (which they will) and need replaced?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Also, whats taking the water away from the timbers? Any sorta drain system?

zak406

LawnSite Bronze Member
Is that flag stone pre cut, did you cut it, or it is a "kit" type peice? If you cut it how did you get it so perfect edge wise?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Is that flag stone pre cut, did you cut it, or it is a "kit" type peice? If you cut it how did you get it so perfect edge wise?
Thats not flagstone :) It's Belgard's Arbel pavers....

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
Whats gonna happen down the road when the 6x6's rot (which they will) and need replaced?

Not sure what type of climate you live, but here in canuckistan they have privatized road building (like much of the US). The roads are constantly being repaired due to heaving, snowplows, etc... They could engineer these highways to last a long time, several years minimum. They could use concrete road ways that are more resistant to pot holes, etc... better base techniques. They actually did this on the 407 (which is a toll highway that the govn't soon sold to a private firm). The concrete sections have not been repaved in years and are still super smooth. But if they did all this, they wouldn't be able to come back every 2 years and do it all again :)

The road construction crews around here seem to be very afraid of becoming un-needed.

Personally I've never tried this, but it seems to work for a lot of people. Think of it is like unemployment insurance. In a few years he can charge them for a stone retaining wall, steel railing, etc...

Though I'm sure the homeowner insisted on leaving the retaining wall, it will be still be a PITA to go back in there and work around the patio/garden, etc... to do the repairs.

srl28

LawnSite Bronze Member
No polymeric in the pavers?

Looks good. We've had good luck with the Arbel despite what some guys here have said.