Proof of general liability insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawngrizzly, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Lawngrizzly

Lawngrizzly LawnSite Member

So I just sent over a general seasonal lawn agreement to a new residential customer to sign. He sends it back with a bunch of random questions. One of them was asking for a copy of my general liability insurance to have on hand for his records. I am on the fence about this as i am not sure if i have to provide a copy or not .i have not had anyone ask for a copy yet. Also as i am a new start up i have not obtained a policy yet as i just got my llc formed and i will be carrying a policy once i actually start lawn mowings in a month

Whats your guys opionions on if i should or should not give him access to my insurance once i have a policy in place

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's kind of stupid. it's not the law to even have insurance. you aren't required to have it. most businesses require it to do jobs there because you may damage cars or whatever but a residential? i've never heard of that. maybe someone broke something one time and didn't pay for it so they want to make sure you have insurance?

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  3. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

Get insurance show him proof. I'm proud to have insurance. Hiscox will have best rate for solo general liability. At least they do for me. I just got off the phone with them about a form. Their easy to deal with and do monthly payments.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

insurance can be a joke sometimes. i know a business that wanted at least a million dollars in insurance and the whole building and everything was only worth about $100k dollars if that much. the guy that was bidding on it only had half a million dollars in insurance and they wouldn't hire them because of that. :laugh:

5. Lawngrizzly

Lawngrizzly LawnSite Member

Yeah this is just an average 200k house in NE ohio .small lot less than .30acre. The guy is president of a co here in town. And he was unhappy with the last guy that cut his lot. So either hes been burned by a past co. Or hes by the book type of guy .or hes anal. Idk yet. Seemed nice when i met but just some of the emails we been sending seems more like the latter

6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

I included proof of insurance copy with all my bids.

The value of their building has nothing to do with how much insurance you have. It's the liability if someone gets hurt so the owner doesnt get sued.
    Shoot a rock and hit a kid in the eye and blind him, could easily be looking at 1 mil plus.

WarriorLandscaping and ltdlawn like this.
  7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Never had a residential customer ask for a copy of my insurance. Hell, I think I’ve only had one or two residential ever even ask if I was insured.

Go with your gut. The beauty of working for yourself is you don’t have to take every job. If you think this guy is going to be a PITA, then maybe it’s not worth the hassle? Remember, every potential customer is your best friend. Once the talk switches to money or you start actual work, then their true colors come out.

8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Providing proof of insurance is not out of the ordinary.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

true but that's why i never mow if people are around. insurance isn't gonna help you when you get sued for 25 million dollars. :laugh:

a million would be way more than enough to cover an eye injury if it can even be fixed. if not you are out of business regardless. they will take you for everything you have and more in a law suit. insurance isn't gonna save you in a case like that. if something like that happens you might as well leave the country to start over. you'll be paying them everything you make the rest of your life....all because of an accident? somehow it doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually Weeze most injury lawsuits are settled for $75,000 and under.
    If I ONLY mowed when people aren't around, I would never mow.

Insurance limits.
    Insurance policy limits can keep settlement offers low—the insurance company isn’t going to offer a settlement that’s over the policy limits, even if the case might otherwise be worth more. (For more details, see our article on how insurance coverage affects personal injury settlements.)

Effect of Lawyer Representation on Payouts
    [​IMG]
    Help from a personal injury attorney resulted in average settlements or awards that were $60,000 higher.