Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad's friend builds engines for lawn mowers, and i was over at his house one day and he was in the middle of building a ztr engine that could run 13 hrs. off of a propane tank that you exchange for at a store and no gasoline is required.................CAN YOU SAY COST CUTTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. the sad part is that he doesn't sell the engines, they sit in his garage until he designs a new one.....this was a year ago now he has a twin tanker

·
Registered
169 Posts
Faster than a speeding mailtruck, louder than a Hi-Lo its,its ZTR Man.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nuke powered here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First, there's no need to "build" a propane engine, all you need is a regulator, an adaptor to fit on the carb, and a few other small bits.

Second, propane is far more costly than gasoline, and 13 hours on a gas grill tank? No way, a 20 lb propane tank is about the same as 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline.

They're not even that clean. We found more than 500 ppm of CO coming from propane engines, but some industrial engines based on compliant car engines were about 30 ppm even on gasoline.

·
Registered
96 Posts
S man said:
I saw a propane powered kohler 15 hp engine on a floor cleaner in walmart before. It must be really clean burning.
It is clean burning. The problem is, the minute you convert one to propane you have voided Kohlers (or any other engine man. warranty).

We use to convert many Kohers to propane for Toro Dingos so they could operate indoors.

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
Our school maintenance have converted their entire fleet to propane. Several of the manufactures are working on propane because the rumor is that some cities will be under a clean air law soon. Under the law you will need to show how you will reduce polution and this is one way. Our local lawn dealer has just put in a big vertical tank for selling the propane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.