1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Propane tank form

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by balms, Mar 23, 2012.

1. balms

balms LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if it is possible to alter tank designs, shapes so that they integrate into the machine in a more compact fashion. The large double tanks on a ztr seem to add a lot of width and bulk to the mower. I imagine some of the main problems would be cost and lack of interchangeability, but would there be a safety issue?

I like the idea of propane, just thinking about ways to downsize the machines and still have about the same fuel capacity.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess strength has alot to do with it. Look at any tank that is meant to hold large amounts of pressure. They are all round. This creates a equal pressure on all 360 degrees of the shape, rather than at a weaker point such as a corner with a weld.

Plus the % of market that is taken up by lawn mowers is so tiny that it would cost a lot. The tanks are more sophisticated than a plastic injection like on a gas mower.