1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Propane vs. DC Trimmers

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by vtwoodchucker, Sep 25, 2014.

1. vtwoodchucker

vtwoodchucker LawnSite Member

The two alternatives to 2-cycle are propane and battery? Which do you think will emerge as the biggest threat to gas?

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Battery because they are quiet

Sparc likes this.
  3. vtwoodchucker

vtwoodchucker LawnSite Member

I haven't seen a propane trimmer. Are they as loud as 2-cycle?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Lehr makes one. Propane engines are just as loud as gas or diesel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg and southerntide like this.
  5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Neither. Unless oil disappears tomorrow neither technology will emerge anywhere from a commercial standpoint.
    easy-lift guy

6. Sparc

Sparc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I believe battery power will emerge as the top dog, but it will take a few more years.

As stricter emission standards are imposed and battery performance along with improvements in brushless motor technology emerge battery powered equipment will take over in both residential/home owner use and also commercial following not far behind.

Even Stihl is making battery powered equipment now, so expect the other brands to follow suit if they haven't already.

7. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Plus batteries suck unless you are homeowner you better stockpile charged batteries no way could those make it around here doing acres of trimming, definitely would not be carrying propane loaded trimmer around be to sketchy for me

ericg likes this.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

There is one more. True 4 cycle where the gas and oil are not mixed. BTW, the propane trimmer is a true 4 cycle with a modified intake to burn propane.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Propane actually does not scare me. It is pretty hard to get it to explode. If it were that unsafe, no way would we be allowed to have gas grills at home. Only PITA on that propane trimmer is the need to have full cylinders of fuel around. Not as convenient as filling a gas can.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The weight is excessive compared to power output. I believe they are still homeowner grade too.

ericg and southerntide like this.