1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Proper blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenescaper, Apr 15, 2005.

1. greenescaper

greenescaper LawnSite Member

What is the best way to sharpen blades using a bench grinder?.... Its all I have for now.... Thanks guys

2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Maintain the same cutting angle the blade came with. Use a balancer. Don't grind so hard and long that you blue the metal. Wear safety glasses. Use a guard.

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

wear gloves!

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Get the Magna Matic grinder and ballancer.

5. egbaker

egbaker LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have filed notches in my metal bench vice to hold the blade at the right angle and use a good right angle grinder with a medium or coarse grit wheel.

With fast wipes, due to the high grinder wheel speed I can get a quick edge and not heat the blade.

Try to maintain the angle and watch that you don't round off the outer cutting edge corner(easy to do by hand without a special machining jig)then balance the blade by taking a little more metal. If you count the swipes you will not have to do much balancing.

I use the cone shaped balancer, its great. Try the balance and rotate the cone 180 degrees and see that it repeats.