Proper Drain Pipe under Paver Driveway & Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lerxst, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Lerxst

Lerxst LawnSite Member

I am in the process of widening my asphalt driveway. There is a gentle slope to the side so I am building a small retaining wall out of segmental concrete wall block and my asphalt driveway will be replaced with pavers.

One of the downspouts runs in a pipe under a bed of pachysandra and terminates right next to the "upside" of the driveway. Water tends to pool in this area so I am going to extend the pipe under the driveway, under the retaining wall that I am currently building, and use a pop-up at the end (I've read the threads here about pop-ups. I live in Maryland and I installed one of these 4 or 5 years ago and have had no problems at all).

The existing pipe is 4" thin wall, but I want to use the 4" thick wall for the new pipe I am installing.

I am also going to install some kind of a drain in the middle of my new wider driveway and I plan on joining that pipe to the pipe discussed above so they drain to the same pop-up.

My questions:
    1) How do I connect the thin wall pipe to the thick wall pipe?
    2) How do I connect the thick wall pipe to the pop-up (the pop-ups I've seen at my local stores are thin wall and do not fit with the thick wall)
    3) What type of drain should I install in my driveway? Plastic? Metal? Round? Square?
    4) Will the type of drain identified in question 3 connect easily to my thick wall 4" pipe?

I have attached a current photo of the project.

Thank you!

drain.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    Lerxst

Lerxst LawnSite Member

Here is a picture that shows the pachysandra bed. The drain is at the right end of the pachysandra.

draing 2.jpg

drain 3.jpg

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re basically trying to use the wrong materials to do your work with and asking how to do this in a work around fashion.

NDS makes piping systems for what your doing
    Lowe’s and Home Depot carry NDS or compatible knock offs and everything fits together by design.

If you’re trying to transition from a cl 200 or schedule 40 hard plastic pipe you need to use an adapter or rubber boot that may or may not exist at your local box store, you’d have to go to a pipe supply store to get one or two

4. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

A 4" thin wall coupling fits perfectly inside a 4" thick wall coupling, voila!

Lerxst likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Lerxst

Lerxst LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. What type of pipe should be running under my paver area and retaining wall?

And what's wrong with using schedule 40 4" pvc for this application?

6. TPendagast

Male

What’s wrong with it is the problem you’re running into
    You can’t get it to fit to other types of pipe easily

Like I already said NDS drain pipe is made for this purpose.
    It’s the black corrugated pipe you find in rolls at Home Depot or Lowe’s
    They generally have all the fitting you need there too.

7. OP
    OP
    Lerxst

Lerxst LawnSite Member

So that non-rigid black pipe sold in Lowe's and Home Depot is strong enough to hold up under a paver driveway and retaining wall?

I purposely stayed away from this because I thought it would create a "soft spot" in my project.

8. TPendagast

Male

SCHD 40 pipe isn’t strong enough not to get crushed under your wall either
    The pipe doesn’t hold up the wall or driveway
    It’s the backfilled trench
    The pipe trench gets backfillled with 3/4” to 5/8” crushed gravel
    The wall or paved surface is over a prepared and compacted surface and the pipe either runs under neath this surface (preferably) or intersects it but the trench for it should be very wide.

You’re not doing work you’re experienced with and probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Here’s the NDS link https://www.ndspro.com/PDFs/Catalogs/NDS-Drainage-Catalog.pdf

There’s some pics in there showing you how it’s used

hort101 likes this.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

If you live in Maryland, why on earth do you want to use “pop ups”?

Do a search on my user name.
    Thread title: guys and their pop ups

10. OP
    OP
    Lerxst

Lerxst LawnSite Member

I installed one 4 or 5 years ago and have not had any problems with it at all.