Proper spraying technique

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by CSR, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

There you go. My lawn is always my guinea pig:)

2. OP
    OP
    CSR

CSR LawnSite Member
    from AB

I like the idea of 100% overlap. So you're saying do a perimeter and then fill-in the rest of the lawn with 8 foot swath's, half of it overlapping the last 4 ft?

3. OP
    OP
    CSR

CSR LawnSite Member
    from AB

I'll need to get quicker as I get comfortable I guess. I can tell I already want to rush a lawn to get it done but have to slow myself down. I'm fretting about what the coverage ends of up looking like if you miss an area. When practising on concrete, it's obvious that the area doesn't get hit with water in 100% of those areas (maybe they should?). They're not gaping holes but wondering if those areas "fill in" with the Fert? Or is it important to make sure every where is wet?

4. OP
    OP
    CSR

CSR LawnSite Member
    from AB

That's what I did! I'll see in the next few days...fingers crossed.

hort101 and Delmarva Keith like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    CSR

CSR LawnSite Member
    from AB

How do you like the dye? How long does it last? I'm worried clients would think it looks bad? Do you use it currently or just get the hang of it and then stop using it?

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I've never used it.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think the liquid spreads out an inch or two after it hits the soil. After that you have to depend on the roots reaching out far enough to find the nitrogen. Good irrigation is a help. Same as for granular fert.

hort101 and CSR like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    CSR

CSR LawnSite Member
    from AB

Thanks for the help guys. Gives me some good things to work with.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

When you say 12-0-0 that really doesn't mean a lot, the question is really how much N are you applying per area.

hort101 likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not everybody agrees. I was always taught to spray water during practice--and apply so that the droplets of spray on the cement were close together, but not touching.

hort101 likes this.