Proper spraying technique

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by CSR, Apr 24, 2019.

1. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

We use 2 ear clamps. No sharp edges. Then we cover them with hose end covers. We also use swivels on our chem lawn guns.

https://mkrittenhouse.com/us/easy-turn-hose-barb-swivel-brass

2. GaryBK

from Canada

Have you tried the gregson small line inside the 1/2" hose? That's what we use for r2 to r5 for spot injection for weeds. We like it. I think I will do some modifications for next year as the gun is pretty heavy.

3. AT&PC

AT&PC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

BF517007-EBEB-4B26-9CE5-1EC3A7FAB5A7.jpeg Hey guys,
    I am also new to the liquid fertilization side of the business. I would like to ask about any tips or tricks on trimming tight areas without over applying, staining or getting leaf burn. I am calibrated at roughly 1.4 gallons per thousand. I have not implemented liquid into my business yet just practicing to do it next year. I just have a lot of houses with tight yards and landscaped areas but like the results of the liquid. I’m just frustrated with staining part of it. The pic I posted is of centipede. When you step back and look at it from the road you can see the color difference where it got heavier in the tighter areas. Any help would be great! BF517007-EBEB-4B26-9CE5-1EC3A7FAB5A7.jpeg
    Thanks,
    David

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I never saw anything like the brown leaf blades and brown spots from spraying herbicide plus urea and potash. Is there a heavy duty iron product in the solution? Something else that darkens the solution?
    I suggest you practice with water on cement. Try to get it equally wet--as you work around pretend obstacles. Lawn chairs to represent bushes and flowers--and forming narrow paths of grass.
    Have you learned to "feather " the Chemlawn spray gun to reduce the pressure? My main concern was always to avoid fertilizer burn in tight spots. Are you using too much pressure? How much pressure at the pump? How many gallons per thousand are you applying?

Actually, it is probably best to just skip narrow paths of grass between rows of flowers or roses. Too risky. Just tell the customer--it cannot be safely treated. Your best choice is to treat it with a hand sprayer. And followup with a hand spreader if fertilizer is necessary.

5. AT&PC

AT&PC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am spraying at 1.4 gallons per thousand sqft. And bucket calibrated at 3 gallons per minute. Yes, there was some iron in the tank. It seems to me, when I feather the chemlawn gun that the droplets come out larger… do you find this to be true? I am using the green 3 gpm tip. Pressure at the pump (D30) is around 200 psi with out pulling the trigger.not sure what it is off the top of my head when actually spraying.

6. AT&PC

AT&PC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

P.S. I was spraying a liquid nitrogen, micro nutrients and an iron product.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Are you spraying with half-inch or 3/8 hose?
    Half-inch is better.
    In either case, at 200 pounds pressure you will have the classic pressure-burst problem when you first squeeze the trigger. The pressure when not spraying builds up gradually to 200 pounds at the gun in about 6 seconds. When you squeeze the trigger, you get a big burst of pressure and over-apply in the first 3 seconds--resulting in over-application and potential fert burn. After that, friction in the hose reduces the flow rate and pressure to more like 40 psi. The spraying becomes more normal.
    No, it is not a problem if the droplets are large; this is fine--as large droplets reduce drift--this is better if liquid fertilizer is included.
    With your equipment, treating narrow paths and between bushes is difficult. There is a high risk of over-application.
    The classic method is the technique called , "Disburse-the-Burst". Aim the gun high into an open area of the lawn and squeeze the trigger, this while moving the gun across the lawn. The excess pressure is released in a burst and scattered over a wide area without harm. The pressure drops to normal, and then areas around bushes and between flowers can be safely sprayed.

An alternative is to add a ball-valve just before the spray gun. This "throttle valve" when partially open reduces the excess gallons per minute at the gun--allowing controlled application.

8. AT&PC

AT&PC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for info/help. I have 400’ of 3/8” hose. I really like the results I have been getting from an all liquid program but I just want to make sure it’s something that I can implement into a successful business model.

9. GaryBK

from Canada

Just add a regulator to the system. 200 psi building up is crazy.