1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Proper use of harley rake

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jrlandscaping781, Sep 29, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

I bought a harley rake this year to use for yard prep before seeding. I've heard that there is a learning curve to it. I seem to be getting better each time I use it. I'm really starting to like it. What tips can you guys offer on its use? What is the best method when a yard has weeds/grass a knee high? On really hard ground I found that it takes somewhat of a beating, would a pulverizer be best for the first pass?

2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

It depends if you have a pro 6 or t-6. The t-6, you dont have to use the pulverizer, I have the pro-6 (double roller) and I have to make some loose stuff first before I can use it. As far as knee-high weeds, Spray it with round-up, mow it down, and repeat if necessary.

3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

For that I would recommend tilling it up first real good.

4. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

I run into a lot of rocks in my area...thats why I don't use the rototiller anymore (beats the crap out of it). So tilling first is not an option

5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

T 6 is a great product!!!!!!!!