Property Book

ManuelMowing

LawnSite Member
As the owner I am able to be at almost all the properties during the slow parts of the season but during the high growth times I sometimes have a crew that takes care of some of the properties. I am probably like most of you guys in that I can take a look at the property and within the first 20 seconds know where the property line is, where the mowers can go, and what will need to be trimmed. I have noticed that guys on my crew don't always have that ability. They have mowed other people's lawns, trimmed where the mowers can get, or don't mow the entire property. I am thinking about a solution and wanted to see what everybody thought or what you guys do.

Take a 3 ring binder and have the following information inside with plastic sleeves.

Customers name, address and contact information.
A picture from the front of the house?
A aerial photo from Google/Bing along with colors to indicate property line, trimmer spots, and other problem / special area.
Frequency of service and what special service go with each property.

WenzelOSLLC

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen this used before. And have tried it myself. Make the colored areas on a separate transparency or sheet protector so that you can easily pick it up and see the uncolored map. I used mine when plowing and sometimes the colors would hide important objects on the map.

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
As the owner I am able to be at almost all the properties during the slow parts of the season but during the high growth times I sometimes have a crew that takes care of some of the properties. I am probably like most of you guys in that I can take a look at the property and within the first 20 seconds know where the property line is, where the mowers can go, and what will need to be trimmed. I have noticed that guys on my crew don't always have that ability. They have mowed other people's lawns, trimmed where the mowers can get, or don't mow the entire property. I am thinking about a solution and wanted to see what everybody thought or what you guys do.

Take a 3 ring binder and have the following information inside with plastic sleeves.

A aerial photo from Google/Bing along with colors to indicate property line, trimmer spots, and other problem / special area.

Your thread reads like you have either a supervisory problem or communication problem?. Do you or your supervisor or foreman actually take the time to show the properties to your crews the day work starts for your customers and outline everything that needs to be done?
Having a 3 ring binder containing the location and other customer information seem to be a nice after thought. Perhaps it is time to have a sit down with your foreman or supervisor and explain that all new customers will have a walk through performed by your lower level management from now on.
Hold your lower level employees responsible for your expectations.
If they can not or will not meet your expectations, sack them and find someone that will.
easy-lift guy

Armsden&Son

LawnSite Silver Member
I have seen some very intricate property information folders before.

There was a gent in Boston that had each property contained in it's own section in a giant 3 ring binder.

Everything from pictures, client names, where certain weeds grew more, friendly neighbors and unfriendly neighbors....

He even had string trimming maps that showed the most efficient route to take.

Pictures of how the shrubs should be trimmed with coinciding dates....

Of course, as easylift said, communication is key... especially between owners and foreman or account managers and foreman...

However, there is nothing wrong with going above and beyond in every aspect of your business.

Being prepared, leaving nothing to chance, covering all of your bases....

This is what separates the ordinary from the extraordinary...

Sounds like a good idea. I am solo so I have never had reason to test it out but it definitley would organize everything. Only issue I could think of is with my experience, if anyone the only worker that cares to read aerial maps and color coding is the foreman. I think there is generally a big difference in care and intelligence between us owners and our minimum wage workers...

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I created a binder for my crew leader this year. It was very simple and just contained name, address, cut height and special instructions(hand weed mr smiths back bed, push mow hill at mr Thomas, spend extra time at the jones they are very picky).

It helped get a new crew leader going as I didn't have to explained every property each scheduled cut. He could look at the binder and pull up the address on the GPS.

As time has gone by I don't think he ever has to use it anymore.

Easy lift - makes a great point. Communication and expectations are the best things. The crew will never do as good as a solo owner operator but holding guys responsible and being clear on goals and job duties is the key. Crews are going to miss stuff and mess things up but keeping it under control is the toughest part.

With that being said a detailed book will hold the crew leader accountable. Go over the book and each section and get on the same page together. If he keeps his job all the things in the book will be addressed.

I'd love to see your maps and how you make notes on them.

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member

I addressed this issue myself by doing a spreadsheet with the following: customer number, customer name, address, phone number, which mower(s) at which heights, bagged or not, and special considerations.
This was done for every property and placed in the crew logbook.

I considered doing the google maps thing with the property lines, but that's time consuming with 50+ properties, and growing. My current solution was to go to each property with them at some point and walk the property, pointing out property lines, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

rbljack

LawnSite Senior Member
subscribing.....interesting ideas here, that I may want to reference later.

Top Forums