1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

property management

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Apr 20, 2001.

  1. Remsen1

    Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,020

    My landlord lives in another state. His son used to take care of the property, but he too has moved out of state and things have begun to deteriate. I was thinking of submitting a proposal to my landlord to take care of his properties, he has two, two unit homes. One has a big yard the other does not have much of a yard. My proposal would be for me to send him my monthly rent minus my fee for maitaining his properties. I'd agree to do his yardwork, plowing, minor house calls, cleaning between tennants, documentation of damages/repairs between tennants, facilitate major repairs (upon owner approval). Does anybody else have any experience with this. I have all the equipment and I could handle a little more work. My landlord has been fair to me in the past. Am I asking for problems? If anybody else does this type of thing do you need special insurance when you start doing things to the house or inside the house? Sorry for being off topic but I think this is a good forum for this type of question.
  2. UrbanEarth

    UrbanEarth LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    Bartering is a great way to do things, however to be legal, you would have to declare the income for tax purposes etc. You will also be well advised to carry liability insurance, unless you are an employee of the owner (then make sure that he has insurance).

    Good luck.

  3. DMC300

    DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 325

    I take care of rental properties this way,but I collect the rent and send it to the owners.Sounds like your best bet would be to pay your rent as you have been and just send him a monthly invoice for whatever price you work out + any materials you have to purchase.
    You may or may not have to get a Handyman license.You should already have liability insurance,if you don't then go get it!
  4. MJ

    MJ LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 312

    UrbanEarth and DMC300 make good points, especially about insurance. I've done both - worked for the landlord and rented to people who worked for me. No matter which, one thing is for certain - keep the rent and the labor separate. Insist on sending rent in full, then billing and receiving payment for work. This prevents problems, arguments, miscalculations and you could easily continue either when you discontinue one activity. It's also easier when filing taxes, getting audited etc. Talk to an insurance agent about the types of work you will be doing.

    I'd say an exception to all this is the small one-time jobs, such as painting, that tenants commonly do when they move in. In that case, I'll usually do something like provide materials and knock off $xxx/rent for their labor. Works to everyone's advantage.


    [Edited by MJ on 04-20-2001 at 10:40 PM]

Share This Page