Propiconazole application

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MSlawnman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MSlawnman

MSlawnman LawnSite Member

I’ve been fighting fungus in my zoysia lawn since I bought this house/property 4 years ago. I was able to get the fungus diagnosed as Anthracnose.

Through maintenance changes (watering) and continuous use of and rotating fungicides I’ve been able to finally get it mostly under control. My problem though is this primarily hits me during our very hot/humid summers here in coastal Mississippi. I can’t do anything about the frequent afternoon rains but am timing my watering only until the lawn shows signs of stress if it doesn’t rain.

I’m due to rotate to propiconazole for my next treatment. Reading the label I see that it shouldn’t be used when temperatures are above 85 degrees. We haven’t been getting below 85 until about 5:00 AM and it heats back up to above 85 by around 9:00 AM. I can spray during this brief period but I’m wondering if I may still damage the lawn. Does anyone have experience with propiconazole 2.42% (Bayer) in hot, humid climates and offer any insight as to using it under these conditions?

Thanks

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I can't offer personal experience with your product but I was thrown off by the restrictions you listed so I looked at a label I'm more familiar with.

https://www.domyown.com/msds/Propiconazole_14_3_Label1.pdf

They only warn against injury on bermuda golf greens at 90. "Inert ingredients" (BS imo) can often make the difference. Companies wanting to cover their asses in adverse conditions is also a major factor.

If you can't get any better advice my experience has led me to believe that a properly irrigated and fertilized lawn is usually tolerant of pesticides they are labeled as regardless of temperature, assuming I don't see signs of stress.

I'd spray a test area to be sure, 100 sq ft or so. If it's otherwise tolerant it's highly unlikely to kill it so experiment and worst case scenario you jack it up and have to look at an ugly spot for a month or two while mowing.

3. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

In my experience its fine to apply when temps are hot at even the high rate, but usually I do apply it late in the afternoon, like 4-6pm.

Unless the lawn is overly stressed from drought, which yours isnt, I would not worry about it.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Propiconazole does have some growth regulator properties when used at the full rate in high heat. At least I know it does on cool season grasses.
    I have seen them get a little dinged up under these conditions, nothing terrible. Warm season grasses though are out of my realm?

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MSlawnman

MSlawnman LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I’ve been using it for 2 years now and haven’t had a problem, BUT, this summer is brutal so far. No kidding, we don’t get below 80+ degrees until 5:00 or 6:00 AM. I’ll get out there & spray in the evening when it drops below 85.

Side note, I did kill two hibiscuses last summer using propiconazole on them. Another reason why I’m being over cautious.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate the feedback. Will let y’all know how it turns out.

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.