1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Protecting Apple tree grafts from deer

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by RAlmaroad, Mar 17, 2016.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hardly ever get to this forum so beg pardon if subject has been published before. I have many year old grafts that were put in ground after Christmas. Deer are snipping off the top buds. I've put cages around them but somehow they still reach them. This week I sprayed a second application of "Liquid Fence" around them. Is there anything short of waiting with a 30/30 to keep the trees safe? Thanks ahead.

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

F---ing deer ... I can't grow much at all because of those large, voracious rat's. I'm not a big fan of those smelly concoctions. They work until it rains and then they are mostly gone. A heavy steel cage with a top can help. But if a deer is hungry enough that cage is going to be tested. Unfortunately, mature trees seem to be the most resistant. Young plants of any kind are just going to get browsed by the deer. Motion activated sprinklers can be fairly effective but they are only practical if you have water handy.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=deer sprinklers

3. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

I am in the process of redoing my backyard orchard. Last Friday I planted 251 trees on Bud #9 which will be grown on the tall spindle system.

The ONLY thing for deer is 8' deer fencing.

[​IMG]

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Damn. Did you graft all of those? That a lot of cutting and splicing.
    You do know that Bud 9 has shallow roots and should be staked for a few years.
    That's great on the fence. I just can afford that. Good job.

5. Metalworxllc

Metalworxllc LawnSite Member

Multi strand Electric fence is how nurseries in our area keep them out of certain areas
    They also love Indian hawthorn, and most crops have to have a elect fence around them for deterrent

6. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

I am quite familiar with the rootstock. It will be grown on the tall spindle system and be supported by four strands of 12.5 gauge high tensile wire.

The trees are shipped bare root already grafted. The size ranged from 3/8ths to 1/2" feathered stock.

7. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

Update,

Here are the trees this fall.

Also installed drip irrigation and fertigation.

Note the top wire is 9'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chrissyboy and ed2hess like this.
  8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know anything about orchards, i'm guessing the goal is to grow apples. Do you intentionally keep those trees small? How long before they start bearing fruit? How many pounds of fruit per tree do you get? Sorry about all the uninformed questions, i am truly curious.

9. RAlmaroad

from SC

Absolutely beautiful. Love the watering system and edgeguards. You are certainly way more professional and care to trees than I could ever afford.
    Wish I could as I love the whole aspect of fruit trees.
    Thanks so much for sharing these.
    Kindness goes so far.
    Roy

chrissyboy and Yatt like this.
  10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

A freezer will do the job