Protecting Apple tree grafts from deer

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by RAlmaroad, Mar 17, 2016.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

30/30, 30/06. I'm a terrible shot, so a 12 gauge would be my choice

2. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

You might try setting a trap

There was a guy a friend knew who would feed the deer toward the end of summer. Apples mostly.

He would leave the 8 foot fence gate open for them to come and go. Come hunting season he would close the gate after they came in :)

Marine03112 likes this.
  3. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

Just watched your video, it's very informative.

I think it is fair to say I am going to have a plethora of apples by 2020. 261 are coming April 17th and 170 more in 2018.

4. On a call

You might think about starting a grafting set up and sell online ;)

Maybe I need to come out and help you pick when the season starts. You will have more apples than carter has pills. Start a cider mill :)

5. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Senior Member

Grafting would be a big no no. Some of the stock coming required signing a non propagation agreement. I haven't done any grafting due to the trees aren't that expensive when bought in large quantities. Once you go over a hundred at a time, the bare root stock is inexpensive and shipping isn't bad.

3/4s of what I will be growing are 3 strains of Honeycrisp, Regular, Premier (early) and Firestorm (redder). Those are pretty expensive apples to put into cider as these wholesale for close to $50/bushel. From what I have read, cider apple trees grow a lot more quantity too.

On a call and hort101 like this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

There must be a way to get even more out of your orchard. Apple pie plant?
    U-Pick shop? Applesauce cannery? Frozen applesauce?
    Apple drying operation? Sell venison?

On a call likes this.
  7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad this thread came up again. Anyone interested in trees should watch this video. The guy knows what he's talking about.

hort101 likes this.
  8. On a call

Apple crisp stores set up nationwide :) Thumbs Up:drinkup:

9. Regal Landscapes

Regal Landscapes LawnSite Member

An angled fence can be used to keep deer out as well, if its on an angle it sometimes confuses the deer as they dont have good depth perception.

Running electricity through the fence can help as well, just put peanut butter on a wire a few times a year so the deer will shock themselves and learn to stay away.

10. On a call

deer traps what a great idea

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017