Protection against Glyphosate "/

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jlbf0786, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

With all of the recent news stirred up over Glyphosate I've actually begun to worry about it making contact with our skin during application, etc. I've started carrying wet wipes, paper towels, water to wash off with.. but, PPE is the only real safe measure with this and other chems.

Have any of you gotten glyphosate on your skin and had it dry before you were able to wash off?

A few weeks ago I was putting a sprayer back into our enclosed trailer when somehow the trigger got pressed, it squirted roundup all over my ceiling, neck and back. I kind of freaked out.. = /
    I think I'm going to keep an extra change of clothes in the truck so it's not seeping into my skin, should it happen again.

Ma&Pa likes this.
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

No need to freak out. Use common sense and follow label instructions.

gcbailey, agm, m_ice and 2 others like this.
  3. weeze

weeze Banned

i had a older lady ask me not to spray round up in her yard anymore because she keeps seeing all of these cancer commercials about it. the thing is if i don't spray on her property it's gonna take 30min longer to do the job and i'm pretty sure she doesn't wanna pay an extra $25 to cover the extra time it will take to trim everything every time. :dizzy:

zlandman and agm like this.
  4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Can you not use a different product?

5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I use common sense and don't worry about it.

weeze likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze Banned

like what? i'm not gonna use something that costs more money. gly is the cheapest thing to use. besides other stuff is probably more dangerous than gly is. it's just not as common for people to use it so no one talks about it.

i don't think you have to worry about cancer unless you are getting gly all over your hands and fingers and then licking them. i mean gly is in our drinking water and so is 24D and many other chemicals.

Ma&Pa, zlandman, jlbf0786 and 3 others like this.
  7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Avenger, burnout, scythe to name a few alternatives. They aren't as cheap as gly but none are that pricy that you couldn't use them. Also you can add a surcharge for them call it the environmental safety fee or something and make up the difference.

GrassManKzoo, rlitman and phasthound like this.
  8. weeze

weeze Banned

i think i'll just add $15 to their price for the extra trimming i have to do.

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Whatever floats your boat man.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the day when brand new backpack sprayers leaked, I had it running down my back, legs, etc.

Have you read the label? Do you use PPE?

TPendagast, agm, m_ice and 1 other person like this.