• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Protocol for Draining Gas From String Trimmer for Winter Storage

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Before winter storage I normally run engine to normal operating temp. Remove gas cap, pour out all fuel, as engine starts to sputter pull choke to burn remaining fuel in carb.

There is still fuel in primer bulb, even though no fuel in tank or carb.

Toward end of season I always add Stabil fuel stabilizer to last few gallons of gas I run through trimmer. So that any small amount of fuel left in system and primer bulb will not cause gum deposits.

I've been following this protocol for 40 years and never had a problem. In spring of following season, just add fresh fuel and trimmer starts instantly.

Even though I've never had a problem, I’m still curious about fuel left in primer bulb.

What's your method for winter storage?

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah I just start everything up once or twice a month, non ethanol fuel of course.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I run ethanol fuel all year long with no problems- even in winter in the blowers I use for lighter snow. The rest of my stuff gets Try Fuel or something just like it from another source.

I drained my tanks for years and left them dry all winter and never had any issues of any kind, but several years ago now, I started using the Tru Fuel and spring time start-ups are always one or two pulls, and no worries about lines or grommets drying out anymore either.

I won't tell anyone my way is the only way, the right way, or the best way, but it is what I do since you asked, and it has never failed me once.

The fuel in your primer bulb can be removed easily. Just dump the gas from the tank and then pump the bulb a few times. That clears the lines and bulb.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
I add a 1 oz dawn dish soap.
No that's a lie.
I use non ethanol fuel all yr long,
If I remember I add some seafoam at end of yr.
Otherwise I put them in cold storage in my shop until April. 1st or 2nd pull fires them right up. We've got at least 20 hand helds.
Never had a problem.
And I'm talking negative 40 to 50 below zero every winter.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
I add a 1 oz dawn dish soap.
No that's a lie.
I use non ethanol fuel all yr long,
If I remember I add some seafoam at end of yr.
Otherwise I put them in cold storage in my shop until April. 1st or 2nd pull fires them right up. We've got at least 20 hand helds.
Never had a problem.
And I'm talking negative 40 to 50 below zero every winter.
Lol, Dawn Dish soap...

DMT29

LawnSite Senior Member
Used to go nuts and disconnect fuel lines until every drop was out. Now I just dump the gas in the tank, let it run itself out. Prime, start and repeat until primer is empty. Put new fuel filter in. No issues....works for me I guess.