Lawn Care Forum banner

Provide Sanding Service?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  lost mountain 
#1 ·
I have gotten a lot of requests for sanding on Bermuda and Zoysia grass from my customers and some who are not my customers. Some of the companies around here who specialize in it charge a lot for it.
I can get a new Turfco machine for around 5k...I've seen a used one for 4K. The reel mower would probably be prudent rather than relying on a rotary in scalping for this purpose. It seems the equipment would be paid for in less than one season with advertising. Another thing to consider is that our lawns would look supreme and bring us more maintenance customers in general. Any opinions on making this leap into a specialized offering?

the only past thread on this forum I pulled up was here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1365&highlight=Sanding+Top+Dressing

#6 ·
#7 ·
I had a customer who tried everything to grow grass in his front yard. He spent $$$ on loads of top soil only to have it wash off the hard clay the builder scraped down to. I recomended aeration and sand and now his front yard looks great. I simply used a 125lb spreader to topdress the sand. I told him that this is something he should do every year and to add some peat moss to bring in organic matter. SOLD!!!!$$$$$$$

#8 ·
jeffex ,

What type of spreader? How much sand mix did you apply? (this is the thing that makes it a little tough: is the cost of a top dresser)

Dave,

Sandman and Sandsquad are here in town and they are the one's I was referring to above. I see a picture of a Cushman topdresser on the Sandman site where as Sandsquad apparently uses the Turfco which has WB and one with a hitch:

http://www.turfco.com

#13 ·
It's because of the clay and compaction (aeration is part of this offering) but I believe it's more to do with the fact that once any of these guys had the idea to apply the leveling techniques of golf course and athletic field maintenance to residential - homeowners started seeing the results, the demand started growing. I was surprised to hear 50% of my customers inquiring about it. This could be coincidence as I only have a small number of accounts having started this company in August. It's encouraging though.

Mark

#14 ·
uNLESS YOU HaVE DEEP POCKETS its better to build your business renting equipment. Just apply the rental fee to your price and try to line up multiple jobs to offset the cost. I still do this with aeration as I have run out of storage in my garage. Whe you are doing enough sanding to justify the expence then "GIT' YOURSELF ONE".!!

#15 ·
Jeffex, I couldn't imagine using a 125 lb spreader for topdressing. Most guys around here lay it on so thick you can't see the grass. That's a whole lot of sand to buy in 50 lb bags!... and quite expensive.

LM, if you give sand squad a list of addresses, they'll go bid them for you, and offer pretty good discounts to the trade. I've only dealt with sandsquad. Sandmand and sandsquad are run by the Guzeman's, two brothers who are now competing. Also, Core Aerations, Inc. does topdressing.

I decided not to offer the service myself cause I didn't have a reel mower for scalping super-close like you need to before topdressing. You have to figure in scalping and hauling away clippings, dethatching-if you sell it, core aeration, and then topdressing. It's a very expensive service, for good reason. An average 8,000 sq. ft. lawn will be over $1000.00.

Also, be prepared for your customers to ask you to reel mow their yard after this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.