• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Pruning Domestic Blueberry Bushes

jaybee

LawnSite Member
Anybody know the procedure on pruning and trimming some real nice domestic blueberry bushes? I'm in the northeast so winter is a commin. How?When? Lots of them so I can't spend a lot of time on one bush. They are over 6 foot high. I'll take suggestions. They do bear a lot of fruit just the way they are. Berrys the size of your thumb.

lbmd1

LawnSite Senior Member
Jaybee,
I believe the proper way is to remove a third of this year's growth as well as cutting down to ground level, older weak and diseased branches (usually gray in color). You can use lopers or hand shears depending on the thickness of the stems. You should prune blueberies in the winter dormant season. We prune beach rugosa (beach roses, rose hips) down to about 1 feet using a brushcutter every year and then grows about 3-4 feet every season. I would say if you're in a rush or customer wants to save money, try the brushcutter. Living in the blueberry state of Maine for 4 years prior to moving to NH helps you gain this trivia knowledge.

Mike

lbmd1

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey Brian,
Meet you sometime at 3 Dollar Deweys for a few beers. We drive up to the old port whenever we get a chance for the great bars and pool playing across from the Seamens Club. Also take my boys to see the Portland Sea dogs. Great ballpark! My Maine drivers license expires tomorrow on my 39th birthday. Have to break down and be legal in New Hampshire.

Mike