Pruning help

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by DanielLawnCare, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DanielLawnCare

DanielLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hello I have a seasonal lawn customer who is requesting a estimate for limbing up two Bradford / cleveland pair trees and a out of control peach tree. The Bradfords I normally stay away from because of the splitting issues. but was wondering if just limbing up thumb sized suckers that have grown down about a foot on the main trunk below the main branches would affect anything? And her out of control peach tree is about 20-22 foot across and taking over her yard and wanting me to cut it back to about 12-15. Would this kill the tree to take that much at a time? I know nothing about fruit trees so any help would be appreciated thanks.

ots likes this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Bradford pears are best pruned level with the ground. Seriously though, removing the suckers won't cause too many problems.

Can't help you with the peach tree.

rlitman likes this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt cutting the Peach tree back that much will kill it, it’s possible, not likely tho. Fruit trees you kind of have to “baby” when cutting them back if you want them to produce fruit that year. Cutting it back that much will likely send it into a shock and instead of expending nutrients to produce fruit, it will use those nutrients to heal instead.

I cut some apple trees back that had been on my property from the ‘70s. I just did a little pruning every year and they kept producing. The Ice storm really took a toll on them a few years back and really need to be cut down but as long as they keep putting out apples, I’ll let them live.

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I share your lack of love for the Bradford pears. Not that I'm suggesting this, but down the road, I've got a neighbor who fully pollards his bradford pears every few years, and he seems to have some success with it.

sjessen likes this.