Pruning issues! Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by KUMA01, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

1. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have marketed heavily into tree pruning and hedge maintenance, and it’s coming to the point where I’m running to the dump three times a day plus. I have a 12 ft dump trailer with sides built up an additional 2ft and I’m moving a ton of brush. Is there a chipper out there that is small enough to pull out of a dump trailer with ramps but big enough to do 4 inch limbs and smaller all day long. I love the dump trailer set up a box or chip truck is not in the budget with a bigger chipper 8 inch plus.... rental just doesn’t seem to be a good idea bc I don’t want to have to tow a small chipper and dump trailer to the different sites. Im not talking about those joke chippers from Lowe’s or dr power equipment. I looked at Jansen chippers but I thinks it’s only a European thing. Any ideas?

Cam15 likes this.
  2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Jump into the bed with a chainsaw and go to town without doing anything stupid.

It won't give you the volume reduction of a chipper but it's significant if you do it in layers your saw can penetrate.

GrassManKzoo, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Saw a guy doing just this in the back of a pickup a number of years ago. It looked crazy but it really did work. Makes unloading easier too.

Good suggestion.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

I do that already...

Cam15 and That Guy Gary like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

@KUMA01 that is a bunch pruning!!

Would it be worth your while to rent different chippers for a day each to see if they help productivity?

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

Never thought of that most rental chippers are super dull people must be throwing metal or rock or something through them. I’ve rented six times and after the last one I took it back midway bc I couldn’t stand it anymore it didn’t want to feed into the drum and it wasn’t something to large either.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

My thought was to try some out to see which one might be best for your operation. My concern is that only the most powerful will be fast enough to provide satisfactory results.

Just a thought, you might consider 3-4' boards for the trailer during this season of heavy pruning so that you can get some extra capacity.

If you want to continue down this path a bigger dump truck and chipper seems the most productive for you.

Best wishes.

Cam15 and KUMA01 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

I agree 100% It just started out as a winter service to get some extra money, before ice storms ect and now my phone rings off the hook for it. Not complaining at all it’s great money! I thought about subbing out the removal of the brush to a tree company as in they meet me there and they chip it all that way I don’t have to worry about it. But I see what your saying @sjessen all the rental companies rent the Vermeer six inch which does fine if the blades were sharp lol! There might be a smaller one that I can find. The rental is only good if I’m at that job all day sometimes I do 2-3 jobs a day I dont want to drive chipper to next location then come get dump trailer ect.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

That is what I was thinking.

Logistics is tough using a dump trailer and a chipper. What you gain in time using the chipper you lose going back and forth.

You will figure it out. Of that I am certain.

How far away is the dumping facility?

Cam15 and KUMA01 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

Less than 15 minutes

sjessen likes this.