Pruning Palm Trees - Pole Saw

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by yukon202, Feb 15, 2017.

1. yukon202

yukon202 LawnSite Member

I just completed six palm trees using the Stihl PP800 Pole Pruner. It did the job, but took quite some time and taking down the dead seed pods was a chore. 5 of these trees were too high for a power pole saw (which I don't have anyway), but the manual pole saw was time consuming. Is it safe to buy the powered pole saw and use with a step ladder? I have read before it's not advisable to go that route, but how do the guys that do a lot of palm trees get done quicker with out a power pole saw? I have offers for another dozen palm trees. Also would the battery power Oregon or Stihl pole saws be a good choice? I just do Palm trees on the side line of the lawn care business and no other trees.

2. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Please make sure you clean your saw with Pine-sol or alcohol between each tree. If a palm has a disease you don't want to transfer to the next one with a dirty saw. Tell your customers this and they will think very highly of you trying to protect their investment.

RussellB likes this.
  3. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

They use a ladder. I tried it one time and it wasn't stable at all.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Leave the palm trimming to the pros!

5. Ready to Mow

Pole saws are pretty worthless anything above 15 ft over your head. Extremely heavy also. I have one it was a waste of $600.00

6. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

I've seen a lot of people on youtube on ladders chainsawing, the limb falls and hits the ladder. When a limb falls, even a small one, they can bounce in ways unexpected.

However, if you know for sure the limb/palm won't hit the ladder you're on, and if you're %100 comfortable, you can reach outward with the powered pruner pole (You'll have to be a decent ways away from directly under what you're cutting thus I would never recommend chainsawing on a ladder or anything underneath what you're cutting). Electric pole saws (chain saw on a stick) are lighter than gas powered ones which makes it easier to extend it horizontally away from you. Another thing you got to watch out for is putting pressure on the saw (not letting the saw do the work which is wrong and means the chain is dull or dense wood) because when the limb/palm drops make sure the saw doesn't also since it could have decent mechanical advantage you didn't expect while the limb/palm was holding it in place.

When I use my extension rod on my gas pruner pole I get about 10 feet or so which isn't much. I've used an electric one and it felt much lighter and a bit longer though.

There's also this video I stumbled on. Which, if done correctly I don't see a huge danger. You don't want to ever be directly under the saw head or the limb being cut though of course. Once the limb starts going, so does the PVC pole and it's quite heavy from mechanical advantage and also flexes a lot. You might drop it a few times harder than you'd like while lowering it down but those pole saws are pretty cheap, so just don't hit a fence or something. It's basically a guessing game between 'should I hold back on the pipe harder to slow the drop but risk breaking the pipe from over flexing, or let the saw head fall a bit harder than I'd like it to'.

I've connected two grey 3" electrical conduits 12 footers for 24 feet, attached to shop vac and vacuums out gutters great on steep 2 story roof. Tape cell phone on after to check results recording video.

I'm not advising this but here it is:

Stihl PP800 Pole Pruner is a good pole though, 18' is good, I would stick with that.
    I had to do some palms in florida, I don't know the type but they had these canoe-like wooden-like dead parts that needed to be cut. Those canoe things are sharp as hell and like 10lbs each. Don't want to be anywhere near them when they fall. They would fall sticking straight up in the ground stuck in a good foot or so.

7. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

or climb them !

8. Ready to Mow

Those are on queen palms. I think most people leave those on for whatever reason.

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Love it when people post stuff they have no idea what they are talking about.
    The hack tree guys and lazy lawn guys leave the old seed pod "canoe like" things because they are lazy or because they don't know or don't care .
    Anytime palms get trimmed the right way all the old dead fruit, flowers, boots get cut out.

10. Ready to Mow

I always take them off. Sometimes people do things a certain way because the customer says so.