1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pruning Palm Trees - Pole Saw

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by yukon202, Feb 15, 2017.

1. yukon202

yukon202 LawnSite Member

I just completed six palm trees using the Stihl PP800 Pole Pruner. It did the job, but took quite some time and taking down the dead seed pods was a chore. 5 of these trees were too high for a power pole saw (which I don't have anyway), but the manual pole saw was time consuming. Is it safe to buy the powered pole saw and use with a step ladder? I have read before it's not advisable to go that route, but how do the guys that do a lot of palm trees get done quicker with out a power pole saw? I have offers for another dozen palm trees. Also would the battery power Oregon or Stihl pole saws be a good choice? I just do Palm trees on the side line of the lawn care business and no other trees.

2. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

Please make sure you clean your saw with Pine-sol or alcohol between each tree. If a palm has a disease you don't want to transfer to the next one with a dirty saw. Tell your customers this and they will think very highly of you trying to protect their investment.

3. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

They use a ladder. I tried it one time and it wasn't stable at all.