• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

pull cord

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
last year we had a record, 5 pull cords. 2 times on one mower. I was pulling it too hard we found out.

2 times on the 48"
1 time on the 32"
1 time on the trimmer
1 time on the snow blower

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
Oh man. Had never, until I was behind an apart. complex, long way away from my truck, and no tools (to speak of) with me. Had to use a nickle and a 1/2" wrench (or a penny and a 7/16 something like that) Overcome adapt and improvise!

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
Does the rope seem alot "cheaper" these days? I now it didn't take too long to break on this eXmark, but I've had alot older equip. that has yet to break. Seems too small a diameter. (I changed mine to a heavier one as soon as could)

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
1 last year and 1 so far this year, maybe i got my 1 out of the way for this year

Turfdude

LawnSite Bronze Member
Helpful hints: First, on all larger four stroke equipment, take out the slack till you feel the compression, then recoil & give a firm pull. Second, on two stroke equipment, use appropriate primers and chokes along w/ quick short pulls to start. Thirdly and most importantly, check all pull ropes regularly for fraying and replace when noticed.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Bob,... exactly what I was going to say! lol
Another thing, is when you start the equipment, don't just "let go" of the rope, and let it snap back in.