Lawn Care Forum banner
661 - 680 of 1,124 Posts
Discussion starter · #663 ·
Mine the right side seems to spin the most, will have to mess with it tomorrow. . The mechanic sounded pretty sure that it will fail again. Getting tired of the downtime and have lost work because of it. They also cleaned the carb because it was flooding and the font two engine mount bolts were gone. Maybe I got a lemon.
I had carb issues as well. One thing that has helped is that I now turn off the fuel valve when I finish mowing each yard. I let the mower starve for fuel and shut off on its own. The valve remains closed until the next yard and gets re opened. This has prevented the flooding problem that I ran into often in the past. It can cause a hydro lock situation if enough fuel goes past the needle valve, and the engine intake valve is in just the right (open) position while sitting. I couldn't pull the handle and had to remove the spark plug and drain the fuel that was in the cylinder above the piston. Closing the petcock after each job has prevented this problem from occurring again. Hope that helps....

That looks like a handy accessory. How does it attach to the spark plug?
The meter has a signal wire coming out of it. You simply wrap that wire around the plug wire. It's super-simple!

I took my toros in and got them back the next day. Thanks for bringing this thread back jfgln. I always felt that this was the best thread on these mowers and don't understand why people keep bringing up new threads on this subject.
Posted via Mobile Device
So what exactly did they do...? I have (2) sets the TurfMaster blades and I was going to snag a few more sets...
Did you take in your TimeMaster as well...?
Posted via Mobile Device

So what exactly did they do...? I have (2) sets the TurfMaster blades and I was going to snag a few more sets...
Did you take in your TimeMaster as well...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Take It in two the dealer and they should fix it for free. It only affects 2013 models. It involves a part that sits on top of the spindle if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw it was for blade breakage, and effected all models, toro, exmark, and the residential. Not sure what a nut and bolt on top of the spindles has to do with blade breakage... I've not called my dealer yet, but hoping i don't have to haul it an hour to get something that simple fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw it was for blade breakage, and effected all models, toro, exmark, and the residential. Not sure what a nut and bolt on top of the spindles has to do with blade breakage... I've not called my dealer yet, but hoping i don't have to haul it an hour to get something that simple fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just talked with exmark and confirmed it was still the same recall that they sent out. He assured me it has not happened on any exmark and only the toro turfmaster, however since they are similar they recalled also.
Said there is a bolt that loosens and causes the spindle to wobble a bit eventually wearing and causing blades to hit each other.

I guess if a user of a mower is out of touch and clueless a busted spacer washer could cause a blade to part Co. With a mower in an extreme case.

I have to drop by my Exmark dealer here before next Friday...will hit them up for the full details.

I have a 2012 TimeMaster but I still want to know Exactly what the deal is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geez, I hate misinformation.

From the recall notice I received:
The mower spindle on the left side has a washer that can deform and allow the spindle to loosen. If the spindle loosens, the blade on the left side may fracture due to excessive vibration.

Well today I picked up my new mower. I went ahead and purchased the Exmark 30 with the mulching kit for under 1900 bucks AFTER tax AND a 4 year w/no interest plan. I know, I know...shoulda paid cash, but it just wasnt in the cards and I couldnt pass up this deal. I didnt get a chance to use it yet, but as we head into this season, I'll put updates in here as I get to use it over time and different conditions for others to read.

After finally getting my hands on it, i was surprised that it doesnt FEEL to much heavier than my honda 21. I'm sure it weighs more, but its balanced fairly well. It will require more effort in the turns, and pulling it backwards when necessary, but overall my first impression is a positive one, and it appears to be built very well. Time will tell on how well it performs, so subsribe if you like, and I'll try to post a few updates in here as we go through the seasons, and different conditions. Because I purchased the mulch kit, i can also compare the bagging, vs stock blades mulching vs Mulching bladees and baffle installed.
I read in this thread or another that you said the Honda HRC mulched better. I was curious as to what height you cut at? I use a Honda HRX now when I need to go down to a smaller mower, & it mulches fine at 3". They just break down to often since they are not a commercial mower. Does the Exmark mulch well at 3" on a lawn that is cut weekly and has a starting height of say 5 to 6 inches.? And assuming the lawn is dry.

I read in this thread or another that you said the Honda HRC mulched better. I was curious as to what height you cut at? I use a Honda HRX now when I need to go down to a smaller mower, & it mulches fine at 3". They just break down to often since they are not a commercial mower. Does the Exmark mulch well at 3" on a lawn that is cut weekly and has a starting height of say 5 to 6 inches.? And assuming the lawn is dry.
I can say that mine mulches very well. With just the mulch plug. Cutting off 2 to 3 inches is about the limit though if the grass is good and thick. In the summer months we would mulch almost everything, only hangup is when it's really dewy in the morning, would have to bag some.
Posted via Mobile Device

661 - 680 of 1,124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.