Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used one of those 12v portable winches that you see on eBay and in HarborFrieght catalogs?

I've been thinking about getting one for the rare occasion that I need to pull a bush or small stump.

They have a 6000lb rolling workload and a 2000lb dragging workload.

They also come with an attachment to slip over your hitch ball.

They run about $50-75 depending on where you get it from.

I just got done digging out 8 bushes and it wasn't fun.

So, anyone used one? Thanks.

Oops! I just realized I already asked this question a few week back. Moderators, feel free to delete this one.
Sorry.

· Banned
789 Posts
I guess you could use a battery operated winch depending on what exactly you are trying to pull out. It took me some time to rip out a 10 foot tall taxus with a 10,000 lb excavator and a chain. Just some food for thought.

· Banned
1,818 Posts
We dig stumps. Couple shovels, axes. In like not time at all my guys have it out.

OK larger stuff, yeah some time is needed.

If I don't want to do them or don't have time. I call a friend with stump grinders.

· Banned
1,818 Posts
True that Rustic

I have seen masons and even homeowners try pulling bushes out with their trucks, suv's, cars, etc...........

Some of them have actualy pulled up their walkways, sidewalks, fences, you name it.

· Registered
59 Posts
Chain/Cable. Heavy Duty Truck rim.4WD truck.
Was told this a while back. Hook chain/cable to bottom of tree, stump,ex girlfriend etc. Have the chain go right up and over the top of rim.(rim straight like it had tire, and was on vehicle right near stump etc closer to tree better) Then hook chain to trailer hitch Truck in 4Low On something with traction and pull. Having the rim near tree will help pull the tree straight out and up rather than trying to yank it out sideway......Im not responsible for any of your accidents :angel:
Bill
Has worked for me flawless...but use your brain...wont work on redwoods

· Registered
966 Posts
chain and a 4X4 any size 4X4 with a tow hook or trailer hitch.i have seen ATVs rip out little shrubs

· Registered
1,513 Posts
I read in an ATV magazine (ATVNews I think) that putting a coat (or a heavy kind of material) in the middle of the winch line would serve as a damper in the event the line should snap. Although, I haven't seen a line snap, nor one with a coat over it to know if it really works. Hope we never have to find out. Realistically though, there's no way it is going to stop it completely.

· Registered
5,449 Posts
Originally posted by lawnworker
Has any body heard about using a blanket over a winch or chain for safety. I don't know if that would really help or not, in case of breakage.
Yes, I've done it before. Also, if your truck is facing what your pulling. I've put the hood of my truck up just to keep the winch cable or chain from busting through the windshield of the truck. When a cable breaks it can easily kill you. The best method would be to use a heavy tow strap, straps don't fly as far when they break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.