pulling hair out in va.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by davidinvirginia, Aug 17, 2017.

1. davidinvirginia

davidinvirginia LawnSite Member

have a bob-cat with 20hp engine about 1300 hrs. when cold runs great after about 20 minutes starts bogging down like it is not getting gas. so this is what I have done so far replaced fuel pump all hoses and filter. same problem after it gets hot can let it cool down and same thing happens. last thing I did was pull fuel connecter off top of tank slid new gas hose into tank
    left about 4 inches out and put new fuel filter to that and put new fuel line to new fuel pump. guess what had same problem. Is there something in carb that could be causing my problem. forgot engine is a Kawasaki fx600v.

Sherlin Lawncare likes this.
  2. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

make sure the fuel tank has a vent ( cap or external hose ) and its clear of obstructions/pinches/crushed ect .. . as a sealed tank will run till the pump cannot overcome the negative pressure in the tank and will starve ( about 20 minutes ) , but when you open the cap or let it sit it will let air in and problems resolves itself magically . been having a rash of these lately with people replacing gas caps with a non vented style , I find the many times the replacement parts people and owners are at fault because the newer units are a sealed system ( use a canister on the vent line ) and they do not look it up and assume its universal ( fits nothing in this universe) on vented caps sometimes there is crud over the hole or under the baffle inside sealing it off or the hole is not drilled the right size or thru ( DAMN you arnold replacement parts ) .

A year and model of unit also helps as we can look up fuel systems and known failures too . ( ignitors , coils , ect ..

hort101 likes this.
  3. davidinvirginia

forgot to say have tried sea foam and carb cleaner. it was a no go

4. davidinvirginia

that crossed my mind so I loosened gas cap didn't help. think it is 2012 model 942298f fast-cat w/48 inch cut

5. davidinvirginia

6. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Check intake gaskets, carburetor welch plugs and ignition coils...

sjessen likes this.
  7. davidinvirginia

Will try tomorrow thanks

8. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have spark when it gets hot ???

9. davidinvirginia

Assume so can cut blades off and engine runs a little faster

10. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member

Put an inline spark checker on it to verify this.