1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pulverized Glass Mulch...??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pblc, Jan 14, 2011.

1. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

Got a call from a local station that is starting to pulverize glass. He approached me about selling this to the public. Has anyone ever used pulverized glass as a groundcover - maybe a substitute for mulch or rock? Thanks.

If this is a viable alternative that is catching on I'm going to try to wrap the entire operation up.

2. pblc

pblc LawnSite Member
    from South

30 views...... no thoughts?

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I don't get why you would? Its full of seeds, weeds would be horrible, and it would decompose to dirt quickly

4. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

pulverized GLASS. full of seeds? who knew? :)

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

lol glass not grass lol That makes more sense, but not really. Idk, it would be there forever, thats for sure

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen it used in faux features like as a blue stream effect. It wasn't pulverized though. These were 1/2" chunks that were then tumbled to soften the edges. it has been available for years for aquarium bottoms. I think the guy is getting desperate to unload the stuff. :usflag:

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sounds ******ed, but if it is like a pea gravel or something i can see the use there if it is not sharp and is tumbled

8. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Uh hello, unless you cut it when it's like a foot tall and has the seeds on it, no it does not have weed seeds.

I use grass clippings in my garden every single year and not only does it keep the weeds down it also adds nitrogen and helps keep the soil moist as well. I can push aside the grass clippings 3 days after watering and the soil will still be moist. I got both my neighbors to start using it in their shrub beds to keep weeds down, and it works. The trick is not to put more than 2-3 inches on at a time. This way the grass clippings just dry out and turn brown instead of decomposing. For that you want it in the compost pile. Only real advantage a wood or root mulch has is strictly cosmetic.

Pulverized glass though, that's not good, just someone else's trash.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like liability to me. Even if its tumbled, are you willing to put down a few tons of it, and have your kid fall into it?

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

so how does new grass when we cut it before it seeds? ;)