Pump Reseal Questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by skidoo433, Jan 12, 2018.

1. skidoo433

skidoo433 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I'm in the process of resealing the hydro gear pumps on my Cub Cadet M48 mower. I purschased the mower used and the pumps were leaking pretty badly based on the amount of oily crude around each pump. I currently have each pump taken apart waiting for the seals to arrive tomorrow.
    When I pulled the hyd. tank off I noticed a small amount of "glitter" in the bottom of the tank, but there is no visible damage done to the pumps. Where could the metal have come from? The hydro system worked well before I removed it to put in the new seals.
    Next question is what is the best way to purge out the old oil in the wheel motors? I read somewhere that one line can be fed fresh oil and the other will pour out the old. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Some "glitter" is normal, ya gots normal metal wear, etc. A lot ain't really good. Check all yer parts really well, cylinder block/valve plate ( if it has one) is subject to wear.

That's pretty much it.

I'm assumin' ya gots a manual, no?

hort101 likes this.
  3. skidoo433

Thanks for the info! I do have the manual but it doesn't go into much depth for the wheel motors. Is there a certain set up I should use to feed the fresh oil in?

hort101 likes this.
  4. BigFish

Assumin' the hoses are still attached to the whl motors: First off, ya gotta make sure the hose fittings are clean, no grime, dirt, etc. I put my finger over the hole and spray carb cleaner to dislodge all the dirt. There usually aint much to deal with...IF ya cleaned the fittings BEFORE ya took the hoses loose. I just pour it in the hose...it pukes out the other hose. Messy.

hort101 likes this.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I believe I would replace that bearing that you left on the shaft.

6. skidoo433

The pump only has a little over 400 hours on it and the bearing seems nice and tight

7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Replace the large thrust brg. Weakest link in the entire pump. To flush w/m.
    With hoses on motor, stick one hose in about a gallon of clean cheap engine oil. I use 10-40.
    Stick the other hose in another, same size container. Turn the hub. The motor will suck in the clean oil
    And drain it into the empty container. It will exit the hose with as much force as you turn the hub.
    So be prepared. If it doesn’t suck the oil in, reverse direction. After the clean oil container is empty pre-fill the motor using the recommended fluid till it exits. Do not worry about using the wrong oil for flush. To anyone who has ANY experience will tell you, it does not matter. Motors displace over 95% oil any oil it takes in.
    I would never ever reseal a pump without replacing the thrust brg, but suit yourself.

Breezmeister and hort101 like this.
  8. skidoo433

Thanks for the input, I will try to source the bearing locally tomorrow.

hort101 likes this.
  9. BigFish

What he said. Be sure and replace the brng race that's in the swashplate.