Punta Gorda Fla. Account sale

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ric, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hello Nelbuts

Sorry I have never been able to talk to in person to find out why you attack me on the internet so much. I really wouldn't know who you were, If you wouldn't keep attacking me. All I know about you is your a one man operator. You drive a Green Chev 2500 that looks Like one of My trucks a green 2003 Chev 2500. I went to high school in this town and I am now 63 years old. You claim to have been a big time operator that cut back to being a one man operator. That must have been somewhere else, because no one in this town knows you as any thing but an other guy that cuts grass. Because you have repeatedly attack me I now know your name and where you live. I do not wish to trash you on the internet and hope you would stop trashing me. I am 5'6" and 120 lbs so I am not a physical threat to you. You are much bigger than I and are bald or shave your head completely. Yes you pick up a small condo on a back street that I had a miss-understanding with over price and services for that price. Good for you.

When you first came to Lawn-site, I sent you a PM to welcome you. You never returned that PM. Instead you just attack my posts. IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH ME PLEASE BE MAN ENOUGH TO APPROACH ME WITH IT. Not the world.

2. OP
    OP
    Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

brucec32

Why don't I just post My entire customer list including E-mail, Phone Numbers and price list. I might as well include a copy of all contracts as well.

BTW since Florida has just passed a new Worker Comp Law. Landscaping now Falls under construction. To even replace a plant in a customer yard you must comply to be legal. Lawn mowing and shrub trimming does not have to comply with this new law.

The truth of the matter is because, I hold Licenses in Pest Control, Irrigation and Commercial Landscape installation. My insurance rates and other over head makes Lawn mowing un-profitable for me. However that doesn't mean someone can't make a nice living off of these accounts. Most of them, I have had for many years and I put My children and myself though college at the same time cutting grass and trimming shrubs. Now that I have a Degree and have sat for all the State tests and have these Licenses, Someone else can make a nice living from them.

This has been an interesting Experience. I have received many inquires from professionals and have been attacked by those I would not call professional. I am just an other working Class guy trying to make a living the best that I know how to.

3. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I think the point is, bruce's second post didn't have to so rude and arrogant. He could have made his point like he did later in the post, by explaining himself. It has nothing to do with whether he was right or wrong, and yes I did get your point but that wasn't why I replied in the first place. Again, later in this post he did explain himself but there are other ways to get your point across.

4. OP
    OP
    Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scott

Bruce has stated that he is new to Florida and has not cut a lawn as of yet. He also has stated he is not impress with it so far and think there are a bunch of jerks Here in the Green Industry. With these two statement Bruce has qualifed him self as not knowing what he is talking about. Welcome to Florida it is a different world here than New York or what every North East Area you might be from. Gulf Coast Florida tends to have more Mid Westerners than East Coast Florida. In a small town Like Punta Gorda everyone knows everyone and the old south laid back good old boy business is the rule. Bruce's Equipment List shows me he is not knowledgeable of Florida Climate because or the gear drive walk behinds. There belts slip in the middle of summer when you need them the most. Our Rain fall is over 55" per year and we get it in a 6 month period. Wet belts can leave you stranded in the middle of a yard until it dries out, which it never does at 85% humidity. Yes you can use walk behinds but there productive is very low. Bruce goes on to knock the Nursery Industry which he has no knowledge of either. Nursery Business requires a lot of Capital investment but has a much higher return than Lawn mowing. Two men on a empty lot is very far from the truth here in Florida. However sitting on the land waiting for it to go up in value is one of my goals. Yes Bruce makes a very convincing argument, however I don't think Bruce is fully aware of all the Factors involved in a Business climate he is not familiar with. Many people with attitudes like Bruce, soon return North.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha Ha .... I like you Ric .... you come across calm n collected .... I use to visit your site n read some good info … half the post around here are from wanna bee dreamers

Let’s SEE SOME PHOTOS from all those PRO’s with GOOD advice ??? Come on Post em !!! Show your websites !! So what if some one uses your photo’s … imitation is the best compliment

Anyways ….those that think flyers, door hangers, radio, TV, yellow pages, signage, uniforms or what have you is more effective or cheaper to buying accounts …. just don't have the experience to back this up .... advo is important yes ... but is just another part of any business …. It get calls yes ….word of advice is good as this relates to community value

Buying accounts …. GOOD accounts …. Those that bring consistent monthly income (we work year round down here) ….long as the hourly cost is consistent with income it is a win win deal …INSTANT growth …. If I buy accounts I keep em … 5 years ago I bought 50 accounts n I still have 75% of em …I retained 100% thru the 1st year ….lost most to sales, moving or death …just lost 1 2 months ago to low bidding …but it gave me over $20k in those 5 years for a cost of around $500

For Resi’s …. I could care LESS about è Contracts ….. I have accounts been doing month in month out for 5-7 years straight have MORE value than a “contract” that was signed less than 12 months ago

Those that don't think selling accounts or the business are entitled to their opinion .... but I don't agree ..... a smart professional operation DOES have value .... I do not work my accounts daily anymore .... I have employees to do this .... I have been grooming my business to be an asset not only to myself but fore any future owner

Good Luck with the sale .... I wish you were in my area ... I know for a FACT that acquisition or merger is the fastest way to growth n much more bang for the $$ than ANY advo deal

6. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

This can all be summed up as a "matter of opinion". What works for one, may not for another. Fair enough, do your work and then step back. Then let them decide for themselves.

I have had both good and bad experiences in both areas, buying accounts and selling accounts.........I found it easier to just give away some as well. That is what was best for me. One thing I did notice was whenever I gave something away, in some way,I recieved more in return, whatever the situation, I gained satisfaction in the fact that I helped someone else get there start in the field. It depends on how the individual looks at and values things in general. Do what you feel inside is right and proper, and 99% of the time it is...that is true in reverse, like posting responses, if I feel it is going to offend, it more than likely will, evident in this thread. In the whole scheme of things, does it all matter anyway? Do what you think you need to do.

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Ok Ric,
    You know so much I was once the owner of Lawns Etc. we did 1.2 million per year in cutting alone. You know Venice, Plantation, Venice Beach, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda.

You are flat out lying when you say no one knows me. I never purchased any of my accounts like you have. Now why I don't like you is simple. You bad mouth everyone and every business in this county. From other LMO's, Lesco, and other pest control companies. In fact you slammed me a few weeks ago when you lost a commercial account to me. I sure did not give you up on this site like everyone wanted. I kept my mouth shut. Which is exactly what I suggest you do now. BTW I have green Chevy 1500 and a Pewter Chevy 2500 and that green 1989 Ford you have use to belong to me you jerk. So now say you never knew me. Oh and the next time you go to a C.E.U. class quit trying to teach the darn thing. Oh one more thing. Four years ago you said you cut a county commissioner's yard when I saw it being cut the day before by another company. That is when I knew you could never be trusted. If you think I am pissed you are right. And just becaused you P.M. me big deal. I do not answer all that crap on all these sites.

Now one thing you did say is true. Your accounts are in about a 6 mile area. Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles

It is high end residential, the yards are small, and 100 accounts can gross you 120,000 But why would anyone sell to someone who wants to keep on servicing the yard they sell.

Now I am going to say this one time to you and one time only. I have never bad mouth your work. Not once. You see I never ask who does a property before I put a bid in on it. Therefore, never ever bad mouth me again. Thank you.

I consider this conversation now closed and will not respond to any more posts that you put up.

8. nelbuts

from SW, FL

Tell ya what ric. You know who I am and where I live. What I drive. I have never ever bad mouthed your work. Just your attitude and only when your name was brought up first. Ok so no one knows me I was past president of the Charlotte County Landscape Maintenance Association. You just did not get that by being unknown. I taught at the Vo Tech the state certification for the Florida Landscape Maintenance Association just don't get that for being unknown. I choose to be the size I am. This is what I want. I am quite happy.

Oh and I did not attack you trying to sell. All I said was ask those questions. Are you selling the commercials. You will be doing the plants? Then where was I wrong in asking about the perks. Oh and yes I am a corp.

9. OP
    OP
    Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Nelbuts RS

I feel sorry for you. You are a bitter man and it shows in your reply to me. I never really taken the time to check you out. Maybe you were president of the now debunk LMA local Chapter. That was about ten years ago and long before I was in the green industry. Maybe I had you wrong about never being big, Just as you have me wrong now. You also had me wrong The first time you attack me on another Forum which is no longer on the Internet. You might remember you called me a Lawn Doctor Franchisee which I am not. The old Green Ford still looks good, but runs bad and has been retired. However it is a 1988 not a 1989 and your name was never on its title, because it came from Texas. I bough it from a customer.

Since you ask I will tell. All the Commercial Account I had on W Marion St. about a mile along the Harbor and Grassy Point just across the Harbor on the Port Charlotte side. As well as the Port Charlotte Beach Areas has been sold. My former Employees have signed contracts in their Corp Name which is not far from my company name. Of course they have Payroll service and insurance Etc.

I have offers on the table for the Fert & Squirt and I am seriously thinking of taking one of them. If the BSI & PGI accounts don't sell for cash. Then My former employees will buy them on payment. Accounts in the Collingswood Point, Lake Suzi and other Port Charlotte areas are also sold.

My State Retirement will kick in in two more years. But I can take a lesser amount now. Therefore I am out of your end of the business. I Plan to just work a 14 acre growing Nursery and do wholesale plant brokering. I will do retail on week-ends only. My son will be doing landscape design an installs. Of course I will never live long enough to see a return on this. However My children might.

Now just to give you some more gossip. After My wonderful divorce in 1994 I lived in the back of a warehouse in Whidden Industrial Park from Jan, 1994 until June,1997. I was so broke I had to hustle pool to eat. I could not afford the electric deposit so I had no lights and bathed in a #3 wash tub. It was in 1997 that I went back to school and my life turned around.

Now Knock me all you want. But walk a mile in my shoes First.

Moderator Please Close this Thread it has gone down hill very quickly. However I am sure many have enjoyed it.

Some of you have sent me PM but have disabled your PM so I can not reply.

10. nelbuts

from SW, FL

I agree close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.