Purchase a Ford 1200 Tractor?

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
It probably is worth 2 grand if it’s in half way decent shape and ran. But a tractor with a FEL isn’t very useful so personally I wouldn’t buy it unless I could make money selling it.
Yeah it surprises me to see tractors going for what they are. I always knew they held their value but not like this. After what I know about it I would not spend that much on it though. Like I said it has been outside for countless years. Some years he has had it in his shed or garage but it was honestly very seldom.

Also did you mean a tractor without a FEL? It may not be hard to locate one. Again my biggest concern is that this tractor is definitely on the smaller side of the tractor spectrum. As in even with some briefcase weights on the back it probably is not going to lift too much.

I was always surprised that Ventrac never really made a FEL for their tractors. They eventually they released a bucket that did not have a whole lot of functionality. It was close to the ground and seemed to work okay for mulch and similar applications. Finally they recently released a true FEL with a pallet fork attachment that people have been bugging them for. So the new Ventracs can do pretty much anything any other tractor on the market can do which is a huge selling point.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I used to have a Kubota B7100 and a B7200 that’s about the same size as the tractor in discussion. They were in pretty good shape and fully functional and had belly mowers and I got $3,000 for one and $3500 for the other one. Honestly unless this tractor is in a state of complete disrepair I can’t see it being worth less than $2000. And yes I meant to say without a FEL. Does it have power steering. If it does that would be a big bonus.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I would have thought a few hundred dollars no more that $500 at most, thats all I'd pay here in local currency for an project, if it was running, and all main systems are working then 1.2k at very best and all the tinwork, wheels etc would need to be good and in place.
It’s impossible to make accurate assessments without at minimum pictures but it would have to be pretty much scrap metal to bring $500. If he’s at $3,500 and you’re at $500 I’d probably drop the idea and walk away.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
I used to have a Kubota B7100 and a B7200 that’s about the same size as the tractor in discussion. They were in pretty good shape and fully functional and had belly mowers and I got $3,000 for one and $3500 for the other one.

I cannot remember the exact condition of this tractor. However, I personally would not consider it to be in "good shape". Then again we are talking about a machine that is 30-40 years old, so not really sure what someone would consider good shape.

For instance, you said your Kubota's had belly mowers, this Ford did too but it has been rotted out for many years. This customer had me run some metal to the scrapyard for them and that was one of the things they had me take. It was repairable either, the deck had large holes in it and was literally starting to rot.

I am not even sure if this tractor is fully functional or if it is 4x4. I just found out that it is a Ford 1210 though. Since the deck was rotted through that bad wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that the actual tractor has at least some kind of wear as well? I know that mower decks tend to rot out faster on equipment because of grass, moisture and the working load they are under.

Also I think that is what this tractor was designed in mind with. As in he bought it as something he could use to mow his grass and would have something to purchase implements for if he ever needed something like a tiller, snow blower etc.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
It’s impossible to make accurate assessments without at minimum pictures but it would have to be pretty much scrap metal to bring $500. If he’s at $3,500 and you’re at $500 I’d probably drop the idea and walk away.

Like I said I just found the email with the details from 2015. Since it has been 5 years with the tractor sitting he may reconsider. Either way I am probably going to have to wait until I talk to him next. I was thinking if we were discussing the tractor I could just ask him if he would consider selling it for a few hundred dollars and go up from there.

I can get some pictures of it but I will have to wait until next season when I am mowing for him. I do not want to be on his property during the off season like right now without permission.

Anyway the original reason I made the thread is because I wanted to know what the tractor was capable of and how much I should spend on it.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member

Also I am not certain where you live at or exactly what you are saying but the tractor is not worth $500 scrap metal. It is probably worth more like $50 in scrap. Now if you mean parting out components that are worth money that is a different story. I could see making good money if you know what parts were worth money.

Having that said, I do not know that much about these and would want to be more familiar with them before I bought something to part it out. So like others have said I would like it to be a little project to either have the tractor around for small jobs or even to resale it as a working unit. I can almost guarantee that it is going to be a project that is going to cost money to get it into working order. I highly doubt it is just going to start right up and be ready to go to work without some TLC.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
Also I am not certain where you live at or exactly what you are saying but the tractor is not worth $500 scrap metal. It is probably worth more like $50 in scrap. Now if you mean parting out components that are worth money that is a different story. I could see making good money if you know what parts were worth money.

Having that said, I do not know that much about these and would want to be more familiar with them before I bought something to part it out. So like others have said I would like it to be a little project to either have the tractor around for small jobs or even to resale it as a working unit. I can almost guarantee that it is going to be a project that is going to cost money to get it into working order. I highly doubt it is just going to start right up and be ready to go to work without some TLC.
Yea it’s not going to bring $500 at the scrap yard. But if it’ll start and move it’s worth more than $500.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Yea it’s not going to bring $500 at the scrap yard. But if it’ll start and move it’s worth more than $500.

Okay so if it starts up and I mess around with the 3 point hitch (which I think it has) and it goes up and down within a reasonable time. What do you think you would pay for it being in decent condition? $3,000 or $3,500?

It could very well be worth even $2,000 but I would not consider anything in that range just because of my wants. I definitely want something a little bigger than can run stronger implements. I do not think it is 4x4 but I could be wrong.

Wolfgang

LawnSite Member
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I have seen dreamers here too with ideas of value on heaps of scrap, thing is usually in time you see these valuable machines either rusting out or going on a trip to the scrappers.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I have seen dreamers here too with ideas of value on heaps of scrap, thing is usually in time you see these valuable machines either rusting out or going on a trip to the scrappers.

I have been doing a little research and came across this.

He said the asking price was $2,500 but never mentioned if he negotiated it down. I imagine he did but not certain. Something that I can say with confidence is the tractor I am talking about buying is definitely seen better days when compared with this tractor.

Top Forums