Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a brand new f150 crew cab...has the 5.4L v-8, the towing package and some other goodies...I'll prolly start using it next Monday, hafta take it to a few shops and add a few things...curious if anyone using this type of truck, what kinda gas mileage to expect...my 2001 Dodge quad cab gets 10.5 pulling a 20' trailer...the msrp was $29,700...after rebates and the employees discount, was $24,500...I got them down to $22,200.... :cool2:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I never pay attention to towing capacities because all of those tests are done back east in nearly perfectly flat conditions under very little respective load to our driving situations. A truck rated at 9500 lbs is usually hitting 20MPH with the drivers foot to the floor by the time they hit the summit of the mountain. A diesel powered truck rated at 15-19,000 lbs can easily glide up a mountain doing 80 if the driver chooses.

My neighbor has an 05 150 to pull his 26' 9,000lb tuna boat and he really likes it, but there is a big difference between pulling equipment trailers through mountains, and pulling a boat up a launch ramp.

The truck might work just fine where you live, but in our area, we don't run anything under a one ton with diesel. Along with power to get you there, we also have braking power necessary to stop once we get rolling.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Travis Followell said:
It it a 4x4 and is it an stx or xlt?
4x2 xlt...it's equipped with a 4.6l, not the 5.4l...my mistake...6650 towing capacity, 3.55 gear ratio...here in Fla, it's fairly flat...been using a 2001 dodge quad cab for a few days and it's rated at 6600 and I hardly know the trailer is there...I checked into the 3/4 tons, here after rebates, they start at $30,000....

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some of the info I posted was wrong...3.73 gear ratio, 6800 towing capacity...

Hard on the brakes.
Hard on the trans.
Underpowered Crown Victoria engine, you will wind out just to accelerate with traffic.
Might sway on the highway.
the gvwr is rated at 9500, that's not going to be a problem pulling what I need...the new 4.6's have been beefed up too, so again, the towing capacity is no problem...

·
Registered
578 Posts
good for you...congrats on the new truck.

I'm sure it will be fine. With regard to how it works for you, I'm sure that has a lot more to do with how you treat it then just some factory spec. You're not trying to two the queen Mary and Florida in general is flat land. Just make sure the brakes are more than you need..you never know.

My friend has a 4x4 F250 with the 5.4 (?) V8... he gets between 12 and 13 in normal driving with no trailer.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Albemarle Lawn said:
Hard on the brakes.
Hard on the trans.
Underpowered Crown Victoria engine, you will wind out just to accelerate with traffic.
Might sway on the highway.
The 2006/07 4.6 will have the new 3v heads and 292 hp and 300 lb. tq.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i have pulled around 14,000 pounds with my f250 dont think ill do that again

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
lawnandplow42 said:
goodbeus said:
Just purchased a brand new f150 crew cab...has the 5.4LQUOTE]

i'm sorry to hear that. :cry:
Very valuable info from you, once again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Regardless of truck brand...I would not consider buying anything under a 3500 series for all crew related work. Now for puddle jumping and making appointments, you could even go with one of the mini micro trucks and shoot for milage.
For pulling, all the homeowner series trucks (1500-150, whatever brand you want) A) don't have the brakes or suspension to pull loads day in day out. B) don't have the motor to pull a booger out of a wet bucket of snot, C) are accidents or maintenance issues waiitng to happen. D) don't have the E rated tires necessary to safely accomodate the loads that landscape trucks carry. Spend the money for a 3/4 ton, or better yet a one ton and it will be the best move up you ever made.

I kind of agree with the used truck theory in some company scenarios, i ran stuff that most would have torched up and sold for scap for years. Now having looked back and seeing the difference between all those wekeends I had my head under a hood or body on a creeper fixing that old junk, and simply making enough money to pay payments and have my weekends for family and fun stuff, I would never buy used again. You need to have enough confidence to bet on yourself to be able to justify paying for a new truck vs an old one.

I know I know there are these guys who are constantly asking if thier Yota or Ranger can pull X size trailer....And, this is the difference between those who are really serious about their equipment and those who will be satisifed by just eeeking by. Nothing wrong with either one if it works for you by the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.