Purchasing a Mower

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by AndrewG813, Aug 13, 2019.

1. AndrewG813

AndrewG813 LawnSite Member

Hey ALL....I'm NEW to the site and Fresh to the lawn care business. I've worked lawn care before but only as a laborer.NOW.. I own my own business and started it Jan.2018....Still wet behind the Ears.....I need some good knowledge.....I'm looking to purchase a NEW 60" and have no idea on what to look for besides that I need it to be commercial standard...and around 8-9 grand...OR CHEAPER....ANYONE. WIHT GOOD INFO ...??

2. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

find a good dealer that is close to you and demo until you come up with a decision. Everyone is different and prefers different mowers. if your mowing mostly flat stand on or ztr or wb all work. i like my stand ons but i need a machine that can handle hills as well as flat areas. i cut around 0.25 acres all the way up to 1.5 acres and run a 52inch and it works well for me. Alot depends on the size of the property and customer you are targeting. theres alot of good reading on here so good luck!

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  3. Caledwen

Caledwen LawnSite Member

I agree. I like coming here frequently to read up. Everyone is very helpful as well!

4. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Cut quality is most important, speed is important, comfort is important. And of course durability, ease of repair, ease of getting parts.
    Do your own research, but from what I find is that the John Deere "7 iron deck" and Scag "Velocity +" are the most praised for cut quality by most of the opinions I find on the net. I bought a Scag Tiger Cat 2 last year because it had a Velocity + deck, suspension seat, it's fast, it's lighter weight than many of the commercial machines and the price was good. And 0% financing for 4 years was great too, but most brands offer that.

5. Caledwen

Caledwen LawnSite Member

I hate when dealers leading comment about a mower is how fast it is. Granite speed is important as we want to get in and out. But if the cut sucks that job is going to be lost quick. Like mentioned earlier, i'd demo some models that you are interested in and see how you like them. Hopefully, your not in an area like mine where I had to fight to demo.

6. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking at the Scag Tiger cat II. What are some of the things that you like and dislike about it. I'm going to test drive one of these this week. Just curious about your input.

7. Mownmachine144

I would check out Gravely, Scag, Bobcat, John Deere, and if you can find an exmark for a good price that to. Like others have said, we all have different opinions on things. Choose which one works best and feels best to you. I would also recommend the kawi engine on either one. Just had so much power and torque you need for overgrown stuff and period.

8. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a jd 930, 950, or 960. Heres the reasoning:
    Every time this comes up it usually comes to: exmark too expensive and doesn’t do well with moisture, Toro doesn’t cut good, scag v+ is great but they don’t have a real entry level priced commercial and the deck leaves long clippings but throws a mile, so the jd 915 is best bang for buck commercial mower with as good or better deck than the v+.
    But after you buy the 915, the only thing you’ll regret is the HP. By this point you’ll love the JD deck. So you’ll trade in the 915 for one of the above mentioned machines at a loss and write on here how you should have just spent more at the beginning.

9. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Most of all I like that I can mow fast. The price was ok in comparison to other mowers. It's not as heavy as many of the commercials which is very important to me as many yards have wet areas that I mow.

Dislikes, the tires that came on it were junk and would not grip hills, so I had to buy new wheels and tires right off the bat. The deck lift is hard on the foot and it takes quite a bit of force to move it. And when you are using the deck lift, there is a piece of steel that I often bump the back of my leg into.

10. Mownmachine144

did you get wider tires or the same size? And what brand?