Purple leaf Sand Cherry is Dying?!?!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Travatron, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Travatron

Travatron LawnSite Member

Not really sure what is killing our Sand Cherry. It has these sap like things on some of the main branches near the ground. Leaves just look like it needs watering, but it gets adequate water! Help please! Thanks. 20190726_180110.jpg

20190726_180058.jpg

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

My father's property has these. They dont like wet soil and are prone to many fungal issues.

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

It has boring insects that’s why saps coming out. It most likely will continue to decline.

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

5. OP
    OP
    Travatron

Anyway to stop the borers? Or get rid of them? And I have 3 more of these in my yard, so how can I prevent them? Thanks for the comments.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Talstar is readily available and works well on boring insects.

7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Sap oozing is a condition called "Gummosis".
    In addition to boring insects, another possible cause is a Canker disease.

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Travatron

So I think I have the borers and canker... one larger branch died off and when I trimmed it there were all these tiny holes and saw little knat like insects under the bark.

The other branches have the gummosis like sap sacs, but no tiny holes like the branch that died. This area floods easily due to poor drainage and unfortunately I do not think there is much I can do about that. It is a bed of different bushes and trees... 3 little limes, 3 knockout roses, 3 little barberries and then a Cleveland pear. The sandcherry is in the corner towering over all the other bushes. The pear is suffering a bit this year and one of the little limes (rabbit ate a portion of the bark and killed a large branch). My thoughts are this... with all the rain this year here in Chicago, the soaked roots probably caused the canker and then the weakened state allowed these borers to get in. The Bush is about 7 years old now, so it probably is not worth saving because it would cost more for all the insecticides and treatment than buying a new bush... we would like that color back there still and need something similar size, but with the drainage issues, probably need a Bush more disease resistant. Thoughts on if it would be better to replace the Sand Cherry or would you try to treat it? Is it too late to treat?

The other question is should I worry about my other bushes with this? I also have 3 other sand cherries in different places in my yard ( no drainage issues). Should I be proactive and treat those with a neem oil or something? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I'm an admitted plant snob so take it for what it's worth...purple leaf sand cherries are one step above weeds. Prone to pests and get decimated by jap beetles.

10. OP
    OP
    Travatron

I'm learning this quickly... if it goes, thoughts on a Bush that can replace it that is similar color and size? Thanks.