Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a good customer (2-3 years with us) wanting to cancel on me due to my subcontractor scalping their yard multiple times. Long story short, the crewleader that was mowing his property died about 2 months ago out of nowhere. His crew member left about 4 weeks ago and I had to fire the newer guy working with him 3 weeks ago. This all happened in about a months time and I had no choice but to sub out my stuff or risk losing half of my business

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Not even a month into this venture and I have a guy wanting to cancel - it just isn't sitting right with me. I talked to him last week about issues that were supposed to get remedied this week by my sub, I was was hopeful (and assured) that they would but they didn't.

I can put this customer with my other (best crew) and keep him in house since he's near their route. I thought about offering that and a $100 gift card to a nice steak house (or more, you know, inflation) and $100 off his next bill but I don't want to beat a dead horse if the damage is done. I'm willing to do that but I don't want to piss him off, as if we already haven't.

I know there is more work for everyone times 10 right now, but this just isn't sitting right with me for some reason and I don't want to lose the customer because my sub doesn't have his stuff together.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am completely lost. Other than the subs crew leader died and hired sub guy quit, and sub said they got this, but don't.
What's your question?
(My) crewleader prior to subcontracting everything. (My) customer (I own the relationship)

Subcontractor was hired after my crewleader died, his crew member quit and the crew member of the crew member was fired. 3 of my own gone in about a month.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
If you want him that bad and he's that good, then put him on the best crew or cut it in person. Gift certificates are always good too.

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
You are on the right track. Explain it, but...most people know how there is a shortage of good workers these days. (Meaning any other company would have very similar problems).
I think you should mow it yourself for the first 4 mows at least. The first two weeks are free. Then go with the top-quality in-house crew. Promise sharper blades and more careful job--fastidious trimming. Satisfaction guaranteed.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Nothing good ever comes from subbing out work or letting employees handle. I'd work that one personally.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I made the customer an offer he couldn't refuse, and after our failed attempts to get his property right, he said he still wants to maintain a long working relationship, if I agreed to a few things like checking the property once a month, putting my best crew on it, and so on and so forth - no deal breakers.

So he's back!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Well I made the customer an offer he couldn't refuse, and after our failed attempts to get his property right, he said he still wants to maintain a long working relationship, if I agreed to a few things like checking the property once a month, putting my best crew on it, and so on and so forth - no deal breakers.

So he's back!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

So he's back!
What is the value of this property?
Monthly or Annual gross?

·
Registered
19,226 Posts
This probably goes without saying but you either need to find a better sub now, or pro actively drop a portion of your customers. Guarantee this sub is ruining more than just this one property.

If you can't find another sub, just reach out and drop the customers. It will be far better for your reputation; if you reach out and drop them, than if they drop you over bad service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts