1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Push blower question.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Vikings, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

A nice push blower could be used for piling up thatch after a power raking eh?

I know it can be used for leaves.

Last year we hand raked it into piles then bagged it but I bought a honda lawn vacuum last fall (haven't used it yet), it's self propelled but a got a feeling it will fill up too fast and maybe a push blower and two power rakes would be a more efficient combo. Once its in piles it's very easy and quick to bag.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You will have no problem at all using a good push blower for getting the thatch in a pile. I think it will save you some time if your bagging it up. JMO

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'd be blowing it into a pile too if you have to stuff it in a bag for disposal.

Personaly I would run a bagging mower over it if it was me.

but yes a push blower will pile up your thatch for you while saving your arms from raking it up.

4. Vikings

from canada

Uhg! I tried my 21" mowers to bag it last year but they fill up so fast it was EXTREMELY slow. We started doing o quick rake and then a fast mow, that was a little better. But Ya for the first two weeks it we strictly hand raked into piles with super big rakes, lol. omg it was hard work:weightlifter:

I got 30'000 flyers going out next sunday and money money money:canadaflag: (Canadian money though)

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

The last time i dethatched i then use the collection system on my G Hopper to pick it all up. It was alot faster than raking and alot easier on the pythons.:waving:

6. Vikings

from canada

I seen those cyclone rake attachments but that's not in the cards, I got no trailers. I got two trucks and everything has to go in the back. I take that back, one of my truck is a Ford Ranger. I'm not sure if that counts as a truck.

7. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Lil Wonder has many models that do a great job and very low overhead some cons are with the swivel front caster it can get a lil annoying and it only has a discharge chute on the left side, BillyGoat has a few models that have options that can move the chute from right side to left. I've used both and work nice
    ~NICK

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And I will add that push mowers can be heavy when you get into the 13hp range and hard to push across the lawn.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. In doing a true thatch job, a push blower is actually about the ULTIMATE way to go. Unless yu have a LARGE sweeper unit - like a pull behind, such as those used on golf courses, a push blower to gather - then tarp is THEE way to go.