• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

push mower

lawncut

LawnSite Member
I am contemplating starting a landscaping business. I know I will need a mower, weed wacker, leaf blower and edger. Not sure if I want to start out with a 32" or 36" due to price. Are there push mowers or or self prpelled mowers that are considered commercial. Can anyone recommend some? Also can you recommend any brands from the equipment I have mentioned above?
Thanks

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
Forget the edger a line trimmer will do both and use the money saved to buy a back pack blower instead of less powerful hand held so you will be better prepared to handle clean ups.

You maybe young and tough but after mowing 8 hours a day your legs will thank you if you get a self propelled.

Also time is money so I would go for the largest mower that will fit the market you are going after. Also there is the matter of gates. Seems a 34" will fit most 3' gates.

Thing is if you mow only one lawn with a small gate out of ten you may be better off with a 48" and do the back with a 21" SP. Can you afford two mowers? 21" can be a back up if the big one goes down.

The question is at what point will having too many yards with small gates will it not pay to use a 48" on the fronts and the 21" in the backs.

For me it was worth it to have a 42" because very little 20" work was done. And keep in mind most fence Co's are installing 4' or 5' gates now on new installs.

This summer I did one lawn that I had to use a 20" pusher because for 75% of the property because my 42" was too big. Did not get another customer because her back yard was larger then the whole first property because she would not put on a bigger gate or pay for the extra time doing it with 20".