1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

put doubles on today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 23, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well i put doubles on today, and well, all i have to say is WOW! i couldnt belive how much they help, i wish i would have done this sooner. they cut up sooo fine and crisp, im not sure, but i bet it allows more grass to be put in the bag too because of its small size.

i just figured i would tell ya, i was sceptical about it before, but really glad i did! only thing is, i wont be using it this week, im demoing a gravely 144z tommarow :) gonna see how i like it and maybe buy a 144z or a 34z, im leaning towards the 34z sense i have a 48, but idk, if i can sell the 48 soon, then i'd get the 144z.

2. ejd

ejd LawnSite Member

Do I under stand that you put double blades on your mower?

I tried this once and had problems with keeping the blades from moving around.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

i used an impact wrench so they shouldnt be going anywhere

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

dixie chopper does make a double blade spacer which keeps the blades in the x formation....as long as you dont hit anything big you should not have a problem at all....

EJD....the benifits for doubles are absultly incredable...if you were having problems keeping them inline then you must have been hitting things...i used them without the spacers for 3 years and they would move if you hit something and that was it.

i would tell everyone to atleast try doubles...ive been doing it for 4 years and i learned from the best cutter in the industy(EricELM) and he swore by them mand told me to try them and i did and havent ran singles since:)

5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

dumb question, but does it matter if their in X or + formation?

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had the luck some of you guys have had with doubles. They really make a diference on my 21inch, but every thing else it really doesnt change much to be noticable, except for mulching leaves.

7. barringtonbrothers

isnt a X a + on its side? i believe its a 90angle from where they meet.

8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

oh yeah, duh. sorry its a little late and i cant think. lol. thanks for reminding me. boy i feel dumb. ah well, a tad to tired i guess.

9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

correct......barringtonbrothers...what type of mowers have you tried them on and not been satisfied?

10. barringtonbrothers

I have them now on my 36inch wb. I have been running them for a month, but I really dont see a difference, except my mower and belts work harder. I tried them on my Z, but it has blade sadles so the bottom blade was around a inch from the top. I didnt like it cause it made it scalpe easier, and yes I took in account my blades being lower, but on the Z it really made no differnce. I havent tried it on the exmark as I am really pleased with its cut and it looks like scalping will be a issue there too. But on my toro proline 21inch it really works well with the mulch plug in.