Put out some Milorganite and still...

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jqlawn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jqlawn

jqlawn LawnSite Member
    from NC

Last week I put out some Milorganite @ a rate of 15lbs/1000sqft and about 4 days later it rained and stormed with a good soaking rain, but my Zoysia still doesn’t have that deep dark green look. I had a soil analysis done about 6-7 weeks ago. Adjusted the pH per its recommendation and put out the recommended fertilizer @ rate. Although it’s thick in some areas it looks yellowish in some and green in others...not deep dark green like it has been in the past. It looks like the yelowish tips of grass is Cetipede which I want the Zoysia to overtake. Also, it didn’t have hardly any “up growth”. My yard is mainly Zoysia, but it does have some areas of Cetipede...not much though.

I’ve pretty much maintained my yard myself for over 20 years, Zoysia now and Bermuda in the past, but I swear I’m stumped this year! Any suggestions? I tried to be as detailed as possible.

Thanks!!!

2. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

Organic fertilizer had a much longer activation period than a non organic. It takes a while for the microbes to break it down into nutrients, if you want an instant change organic isn't the way to go.

hort101 likes this.
  3. jqlawn

jqlawn LawnSite Member
    from NC

Oh OK!!!! That makes sense!!! Duh!!!

Thanks!!!!

4. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

ummm also iron is what makes grass green and take a few weeks for that to break into the plant's streams

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What was the pH?
    How exactly did you adjust the soil acid level--the pH?
    Did you apply the Milorganite evenly?
    My opinion, two weeks is enough for the Milorganite to take hold and grass to respond--provided it has been warm and wet.
    Centipede and zoysia--with two species of grass it will be difficult to get it to match.
    Local advice is better. I have heard centipede needs acid soil and does not like phosphorus--and Milorganite is high in phosphorus.
    So, yes you are stimulating the zoysia at the expense of the centipede. In theory--at least.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    hort101 likes this.
  6. jqlawn

jqlawn LawnSite Member
    from NC

pH was 5.8. The report recommend 20lbs/1000sqft. I broadcast the lime in my Lesco spreader. That was about 6 weeks ago.

I put out Milo last Wednesday using the same spreader. Yet I have to admit although it's a Lesco it has been a POS!!!!

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the yellowing is fungus. i've seen that a lot this year.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Actually he might not have the proper microbe balance in place due to previous synthetic fertilizer applications that have disrupted proper microbe population.

hort101 likes this.
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Wasn't trying to offend you with this post so please don't be.

10. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

You're fine, I know iron and microbes and nutrient balance etc. affect it but I still expect it to take more than a week after first watering to get any effect from an organic. I tell customers it may take as much as a month, but it's definitely fun to watch how every property reacts.

dKoester, phasthound and hort101 like this.