Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gopher templates often include a box so you can insert the per cut price. Is that a good idea? Is it better to tell them flat out what it costs or to meet them in person and arrange things?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to see the flyers. I want to know if it is smart to put a price on or smarter to say call for a free estimate. Thanks.

·
Former Moderator
6,065 Posts
What kind of price are you talking about? If you mean a standard price that is printed on every flier, like "most average size lawns $30", well no way, I would never do that although I have read that some on here do indeed do that. I think it is best to treat each lawn individually as sometimes there are obstacles that may make the price higher than what the flier said.
And if you mean write the price on the flier as you are walking to the door to deliver them, nope I wouldn't do that either. it's tedious enough passing out fliers, I sure wouldn't add more to the job by having to stop and scope out and walk the lawn before writing in a price.
I say if the customer wants lawn service, they will call even without the price on the flier.
just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
1MajorTom said:
What kind of price are you talking about? If you mean a standard price that is printed on every flier, like "most average size lawns $30", well no way, I would never do that although I have read that some on here do indeed do that. I think it is best to treat each lawn individually as sometimes there are obstacles that may make the price higher than what the flier said.
And if you mean write the price on the flier as you are walking to the door to deliver them, nope I wouldn't do that either. it's tedious enough passing out fliers, I sure wouldn't add more to the job by having to stop and scope out and walk the lawn before writing in a price.
I say if the customer wants lawn service, they will call even without the price on the flier.
just my two cents.
I 100% agree..it would be a real pain in the you know what.. to walk around every property just to add a price to the flyer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it would be stupid to put a price on the flyer. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I think it is a great idea idea to put a price on the flier. Put prices by square footage with a asterisk and footnote stating prices may vary depending on complexity of landscape.

People do not like surprises and in general have no clue what a competitive price is. If your pricing is competitive use it to your advantage. If your not competitive hide your price.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess it depends on what type of operation you want to run. If you want a high volume streamlined biz, prices on fliers are a great idea. Price is usually 80% of the deal.
If you want to attract a specific customer base with specific yards and add on services then it may cause you more hassle than not.
I myself and others on the boards have had tremendous success with prices, and if you play your cards right you'll never get burned. I also have no contracts, and focus on only mowing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
We did that. Put prices on fliers. I was tired of debating the subjecvt with my brothers and let them do it. What happened was the prices were low and the first people to jump on it were corner lots with 100s of feet of edging. So the lesson was learned. They found that putting a price on the flier doesn't work because every lawn is differant. They also found that trying to quote each lawn individually took too much time. I have them put Prices starting at $34.99 on all of the fliers and we do great with that concept. I do honor the other fliers quotes. Although it is not very profitable.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My flyers add $5 for corner lots. So far no one has complained, and some of the corner lots are very small which makes up for some longer ones. As far as square footage goes, you can easily put a price on lots, and on your postcards and still make a great profit.

I went from 0 to 115 accounts from March to now without doing a single estimate. Works for me!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here
Hi Howie's Lawn Care,

This is a great debate. On one side, you don't want to put a price down if you want to sell your services in person, on the other side you may want to put a price down if you want to leave a potential customer with a figure for them to think over. I think this would make a great poll too!

<table width=100%>
[TR][TD]Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.
See if we can help you.[/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

·
Registered
11,765 Posts
I used door hangers this year with a blank line where I could write in the price for weekly mowing. This way you don't have to go back and bid the job and the customer is serious when they call. They already know the price. I just set up the service over the phone.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
hey your not going to give 100 estimates yourfirst year, your going to be lucky to do 20. there are too many variables to put a set price on a flyer, the starting at price worked for me..... l

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.