• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Putting A Value On A Customer List

svtcobra

LawnSite Member
Looking to acquire an established customer list. I am looking to purchase the list only to add to my current baseand was wondering if there is a rule of thumb that people use to do this. I was thinking along the the lines of the equivalent to 3 or 4 mows? Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If you find it for that you better snatch it up. I sold off 30 accounts about two years ago. All on contract and sold them for six months of their revenue worth. To me 3 or 4 mows someone might as well be giving them away.

OP
S

svtcobra

LawnSite Member
We don't mow all year here, we only mow for 6 months of the year, so would you think half of a season (3 Months) worth of revenue? Would you go off gross or net?

MnGreen

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking to acquire an established customer list. I am looking to purchase the list only to add to my current baseand was wondering if there is a rule of thumb that people use to do this. I was thinking along the the lines of the equivalent to 3 or 4 mows? Any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I don't see anything about a "contracted" list, the amount of accounts or price in your statement.
Buying a list of names is a crazy gamble at best and worth zero in my opinion.
Even contracted, on a 6 month season I would not pay over 30% of monthly gross.
After costs/time of services and taxes on top of the purchase you have no clue what retention rate
you will end up with. Plus you have no security of a "non compete" mentioned that keeps the guy from
starting right back up again with your cash in his pocket.

I don't see anything about a "contracted" list, the amount of accounts or price in your statement.
Buying a list of names is a crazy gamble at best and worth zero in my opinion.
Even contracted, on a 6 month season I would not pay over 30% of monthly gross.
After costs/time of services and taxes on top of the purchase you have no clue what retention rate
you will end up with. Plus you have no security of a "non compete" mentioned that keeps the guy from
starting right back up again with your cash in his pocket.
I would call this gentleman when he gets ready to get rid of his clientel, he will give them to you.