1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

PVC cut flush on backflow, need removed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mcw615, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. mcw615

    mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 473

    Got a call from a customer needing irrigation repair. Something happenned and was just told the backflow will be on the back porch come fix this week sometime. Never ran into pipe cut flush to the breaker, threaded and cement taped. How do I get it out?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. WalkGood

    WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,910

    Post pictures of it.
  3. bcg

    bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx
    Messages: 1,865

    You'll need something like a stub wrench. If you can't find one big enough, then I'd just replace the brass ball valve, they aren't that expensive or hard to replace.
  4. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 4,383

    You can chisel out the pvc. Time consuming and you might end up replacing the ball valves if you damage the threads. Might be best to do the above.
  5. DanaMac

    DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,219

    Yup, replace the ball valve. OR - melt the PVC with your torch, and pry it out.
  6. AI Inc

    AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 26,977

    If its more then 5 yrs old, sell em a backflow.
  7. txgrassguy

    txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,083

    I melt 'em out myself. This way I have the torch handy to lite up those fireants too.

    You ever notice that when you torch an ant they really pick up speed then suddenly - stop?
  8. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,445

    Easy Out.

    They come in all sizes, we use them regularly.
  9. Some Sprinkler Guy

    Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 167

    Two ways to do this, we fix these all the time.

    Heat up a screwdriver with a torch and melt through the remaining male adapter in two places about 1/4" apart perpendicular to the threads. Then tap the piece out with a small screwdriver and the remaining piece of the male adapter can be removed easily.

    The other way is to use a hacksaw blade (off the saw) and cut two slits the same way approx. 1/4" apart and knock out the piece.

    I have done the top version dozens of times and it works perfect!

    Make sure you get paid for you unique on the job experience.
  10. Stillwater

    Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,889

    they make a tool for this, it is called a stub wrench a must have, they come 1/4 1/2 3/4 1" ridged makes a good one. They can be found at the Home depot, Loews, a good hardware store or your plumbing supply house. Buy one and keep it in your service truck

Share This Page