1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pwer Rake

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lady jane, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lady jane

lady jane LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any thoughts on porer rakers? Thanks for the advise.

2. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you mean a power rake as in de-thatcher? I'd love to have one for that "extra" income for spring de-thatching...they are very expensive though.
    Have you looked at any in particular?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We purchased the spring/tines for the Mantis. My son used it for a lady that wanted it done and pulled up a lot of stuff. I spread molasses/sugar to speed the recycling of that stuff so I never use the Mantis for that. But is is inexpensive that way and works well.

4. lady jane

lady jane LawnSite Member

Yes I mean dethaching. I have not looked at any yet. I 'm trying to get other peoples thoughts to know what to look for. Thank you.

5. Fordsflylow

Fordsflylow LawnSite Member

Another name for it is verticutter and many come with a seed hopper attached. Very handy machine. I too have a Mantis w/aerating tines and a seperate dethatcher/power rake that is basically springs on a drum device. Great for small areas and such.

6. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 de-thatchers that are 8 years old, and still start on one pull. It makes a great selling point with new customers. They are pricey and only use them a few times per year but well worth the investment. Plus it makes overseeding here in Arizona a hell of alot easier.

7. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Every so often I see them for sale from rental companies, locally...you may want to check craigslist in your area for that. Some of the units look used very little...others look worn out. It's a crapshoot but they're basically a motor a belt and the shaft with the knives or tines. I keep looking for that bargain!:drinkup: