Pyracantha hedge

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by A Hero Lawn Care, Jul 18, 2018.

1. A Hero Lawn Care

A Hero Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    Sticky situation. Client wanted this pyracantha turned into a hedge. If you got this request, what would you do?

20180703_124114.jpg

20180703_124133.jpg

2. A Hero Lawn Care

This is what she said she wanted to go for. In my mind the expectations are unrealistic. Thoughts. My assumption was to do 2-3 aggressive prunings 1st ro get a consistent height and 2nd to pull the shrub in for depth. Keep on mind pyracantha ks bor susceptible to hard pruning. And can even be rejuvenated during dormant season, like dogwood. Thoughts?

InShot_20180718_135536479.jpg

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

My pyracantha does not seem to mind hard pruning. However, those blooms only form on the previous year's wood, so you won't get that color if you prune after the buds set in the fall.

The problem I see is that that hedge pictured is not one plant, but your customer's probably is. So you're not going to get that long shape, but within reason, you can trim it to A shape.

4. A Hero Lawn Care

That's what my impression was. However I think we fudged this plant. I know they are fast growers and can put on a healthy 1.5 feet in a year. I'm going to humble myself and upload the pictures. This round of pruning was to get shape to see what we are working with. I have to take responsibility. So during dormant season we planned to com back and pull it back 2 feet this giving her a hedge in future seasons. This isn't our first rodeo and we are fairly experienced in pruning and trimming but I feel like this came out like sh!t. I'm a bit disgusted

InShot_20180718_133125194.jpg

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Well, that creepy guy's reflection in the window not withstanding, I'm not sure how you could have gotten more of a geometric shape out of that medusa's-head modern-art mess of a plant than you did. Yeah, it's a little sad looking now, but I think your plan is sound. I wouldn't get too down on it.

BTW, I really like the look of that juniper in the background.

hort101 likes this.
  6. A Hero Lawn Care

Haha that creepy guy seems to find himself in pictures from time to time. She actually absolutely hated the junipers as well. The yard was a mess and it's hard to explain to clients Rome wasn't built in a day. I've done a lot of work for this client in the past and she has always been thrilled with the work. I'm trying to let her know meticulous maintenance is needed and we cant achieve perfection in one visit after years of neglect. sometimes I wonder why I got into this line of work

InShot_20180717_182948778.jpg

InShot_20180717_183944408.jpg

InShot_20180717_183818123.jpg

phasthound and hort101 like this.
  7. A Hero Lawn Care

hort101 likes this.
  8. A Hero Lawn Care

Thought I'd update. I followed up 2 months later with the client and asked how it was looking. Never heard anything back but this is what she looked like. Not sure if the client was actually super mad because I ended up selling her another $1k in tree work and $1k in maintenance work. I think she may have just felt silly because the plant did exactly what I tried telling her it would. Has been a good few months though. Hope you folks are doing well!

hort101 likes this.