Q4 in a backpack spray rate

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Yes, I am being somewhat lazy. What mix rate do you guys spray your Q4 at when using a backpack?

I generally use a Lesco branded backpack. I tried some Q4 last week at 3oz per gallon with 2 oz. of MSO . Burned the lawn pretty good, it was about 84-85 degrees out when I sprayed. The lawn was dry before it hit near 90*

Spraying Fescue: Mainly targeting crab grass, nutsedge, virginia creeper & clover.
Also seems like a long period of time to see any results. After 7+ days its just starting to make the crab grass turn a little bit purple. It seemed to have burned the grass and slightly hit the crabgrass.

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
Figure out how much water you are spraying per K then you can figure out your product needed. You may apply 1 gal per K and I may apply .5 gal per K so my mix rate would be different then yours.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I've used it without issue at 2oz per gallon per 1k. And spot spraying. I have used NIS pretty much all season because I ran out of MSO and was trying to use up the adjuvant I already had. I using on warm season turf. I think max rate on warm is 2.5 oz per 1k.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
It runs me about $2.50 per k. Not the cheapest but for a single go to that takes care of a lot of broadleaf and grassy weeds and sedges to a point it's pretty handy IMO.

We use it usually for spot spraying or smaller areas that need a general clean up.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Should work. Rate is 2.6 to 3 ounces per 1000 sqft. I am thinking you were treating tall fescue--not fine fescue.
Do not spray when you are angry at the weeds. Be sure if you are spot-treating, you are not using too much due to high pressure. Do not hold the wand too close to the weed. 12 inches high is fine--3 inches--not so much.
Keep in mind the rate for Mso is 48 ounces per 100 gallons. That is about .48 ounces per gallon. So you used four times as much--if I understood.

I am surprised--clover should show effects of the herbicide within one day--even 12 hours. Maybe you meant that the crabgrass was slow to respond.

JC is right--be sure you calibrate with one gallon water so you know how many sqft a gallon covers with your sprayer and walking speed.

Last edited:

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
You said 2 oz of MSO, if that was per gallon that will burn. If you meant 2 oz in a full 4 gallon backpack nevermind.

Is the lawn irrigated? Weeds can suffer drought stress and go dormant in the Summer too. If there is no automatic irrigation watering the area well a day or two before and two days after spraying will improve results.

Even if it was cool when you sprayed there is still a greater potential for turf damage if it's not hydrated.

Annual grasses have shown some resistance to quinclorac during certain stages of growth. I think it's the 2-4 tiller stage?

GravelyGuy

LawnSite Silver Member
Q4 seems to work best mixed with more carrier. It doesn't do well low volume at all. I use it without a sticker and it's pretty forgiving used this way.

OP
Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Riggle: Your correct I was mainly talking about how long it has taken to show the results on crab grass. It will turn 1/8 of the weed purple and a week later it's back green again and thriving. I was mixing the MSO at 1/2 oz per gallon in the backpack so 2oz for a full backpack.

greenfire

LawnSite Senior Member
Don't use MSO at all. Q4 works just fine without it. Q4 will discolor fine fescue no matter what you do. And as mentioned above you must calibrate your sprayer.. no sense in guessing.