• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Quackgrass herbicide (new)

americanlawn

LawnSite Fanatic
"Certainty" by Monsanto claims to kill it without killing Kentucky bluegrass.

I started this new post because quackgrass is a huge problem with no good solution, and it seems nobody else on this site is aware of it.

(if you try & it works, you owe me a six-pack)

Check Monsanto's website for how & when to use it. LESCO sells it.

It came on the market late last fall, so little is known in field trials.

Basically -- spray the quackgrass when it's actively growing (spring or fall).

Follow-up treatments may be needed. It may also yellow out the bluegrass for a short time.

It comes as a granular product similar to "Manage" in a small plastic bottles.

Mix it with water as well as a spreader/sticker.

I'm thinking the quackgrass must be tall, then use a fine mist when you spray it (just like nutsedge).

Call your local LESCO dealer, and also see Monsanto's website.

I'm gunna try it soon.

30 years in the lawn care industry. I hope soon to become a senior lawn site member. Good luck.

jrc lawncare

LawnSite Senior Member

I started this new post because quackgrass is a huge problem with no good solution, and it seems nobody else on this site is aware of it.

Follow-up treatments may be needed. It may also yellow out the bluegrass for a short time.

I'm thinking the quackgrass must be tall, then use a fine mist when you spray it (just like nutsedge).

I'm gunna try it soon.

30 years in the lawn care industry. I hope soon to become a senior lawn site member. Good luck.
I see it's registered in NY. Gonna have to check it out.

Victor

LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gunna try it soon.

It might be hard for you to believe Americanlawn, but there are more than a couple people on this site that already knew about it. I'm one of those people. Not bad for a "Senior Member" huh?
I've already put a bug in my supplier's ear to get some in for me as soon as he can.

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
The stuff is not that expensive, about 51.00/acre. You only use .75 oz to .5 oz/acre. After talking to the Monsanto rep I am going to start at the .5 oz rate. and recommend double application plus fertilizing.

ThreeWide

LawnSite Bronze Member
It has been sold in my area for at least the past year.

Even though it is pushed for the ability to control nutsedge, it is also labeled for controlling Poa and other grassy weeds in warm season turf. We also use it mixed with MSMA for Dallisgrass supression. Versatility is one of the reasons I like the product. There may be better solutions for nutsedge control, but none quite so versatile.

Since it cannot be used on Fescue, I doubt it will be extremely popular in the transition zone.